Ripped off by fellow iPodlounger!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Macman

So here?s the story and if anyone has any tips on what recourse I have I?d be much appreciative.

A while back I posted an ad in the classified section here on iPodlounge looking to buy a set of Shure E2 earphones. A little while later a pair came available through another iPodlounge member called zeluiz22. His real name is Joe.

Suffice to say a deal was arranged. The earphones were used but said to be in great condition and all pieces would be included in the package. I PayPaled the agreed upon amount, which included shipping, to his specified account.

I received the phones a little over a week later, which were shipped to my door at 10 a.m. Immediately I opened the package and found the phones inside in the original packaging and they looked to be clean and in one piece. I plugged them into my iPod to take a listen and at first thought I didn?t have one of the phone inserted correctly as I wasn?t getting any sound in my right ear. Then I moved and voila sound! Then no sound. Turns out the when the wire moved where it attached to the jack the sound would crackle and come in and out.

Right away I emailed zeluiz22 and told him that I?d received the earphones about 10 minutes before and about their condition. He agreed to a refund if I shipped them back to him. At this point I was already on the line for shipping costs and the taxes I paid for them to cross the border (I live in Canada) so I told him I would investigate the idea of just having them repaired/replaced under warranty. I contacted Headroom where they were originally purchased but they couldn?t help as they only warranty what they sell for 30 days. Then I called Shure?s distributor in Canada but they only service what they sell in Canada. Shure USA would only service the item in the US and would not ship them back to Canada. So there was nothing I could do. I explained this to zeluiz22 and suggested he have them serviced by Shure from his end and just refund my money. He agreed.

I shipped them back and a week later he confirmed receiving them. However, at this point he has refused to issue my refund stating that the earphones are indeed broken and that they were not like that when he sent them to me. What? So he sells a product which arrives broken, requests return of the product for a refund, get the product returned, confirms it?s broken and then refuses the refund. Not to mention he is still in a position to have them repaired/replaced under warranty. To add insult to injury he has been very unresponsive and downright rude in his replies to my queries.

I have held off until now with hopes that this would be resolved amicably but it appears this is not going to happen. I have the seller?s home and business addresses and phone number but, as I don?t live in the US there?s not much I feel I can do. All I want in the end is an operable pair of headphones and/or a refund as promised.

If anyone knows of any other ways to resolve this that I?m unaware of I?d love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Jason.

dcx693

However, at this point he has refused to issue my refund stating that the earphones are indeed broken and that they were not like that when he sent them to me. What? So he sells a product which arrives broken, requests return of the product for a refund, get the product returned, confirms it?s broken and then refuses the refund.
I don't know all the particulars here, but it doesn't sound like either of you is trying to rip off the other.

My only hope is that you and zeluiz22 act in a fair manner. Perhaps he/she honestly beleived that the headphones were not shipped to you damaged. It's possible you could've damaged them in the time you had them, but unlikely. It's also unlikely that you had them shipped to you and that you purposefully damaged them. Intent is hard to prove, and the situation is just unfortunate.

Did you guys agree to a return policy before the sale?
He agreed to a refund if I shipped them back to him.
If this is true, and there were no obvious signs that you mishandled the headphones, you are entitled to a refund.

Macman

The headphones are in perfect shape visually. The problem is internal at the jack. I had not time to mishandle them as I literally took them out of the packing, plugged them in, they didn't work and contacted him right away. As far as his agreeing to a refund I have several emails (I've kept everything) stating that he would issue a refund.

Jason.

Impulse29

If he claims that the E2's were damaged during the delivery, I would contact the shipping company (that is, if you have insurance).

Read my PM for more

soulrock

Gold Member
Website
www.tonyalicea.com
That sucks. Regardless if you damaged them or not, if he has them under warranty he should either fix them and send them to you or keep them and give you your money back. Sounds unfair on his part to me. Good luck.

Tony

Infamouschitlin

traitor! BURN HIM NOW!
BTW: you can get cheep E2's at radioshack. I picked up a pair for 10$ under the new price. I could have been lucky though?!? Personally though, I really don't like the e-2's as much as my sehenhizers...MX300...but I use the pod headphones when I want people to know that I have a pod.

Last edited:

Macman

So I just got an email from Joe, the dishonest seller, and I guess either he read this forum or PayPal is getting on his case, but now he says he's shipping the broken head phones back to me on Monday. What a guy, huh? He furthers his email by saying that I broke them, I have to fix them... which I didn't and which I can't. And then finishes by saying that I'm a fool and very childish.

I'm sorry but if wanting what I pay for makes me a childish fool then I guess I'm in good company.

Any HONEST iPodders out there that might be able to get these phones serviced for me in the US and ship them back to me? I really just want a refund but that not the type of guy Joe is.

J.

Bob

Administrator
Website
forums.ilounge.com
When you get the phones back how about just replacing the jackplug? If there is a bad joint in the plug or a broken wire in the flex sleeve it should be easily cured by putting a new plug on it.
You'd only lose about an inch off the cable length.

Infamouschitlin

burn him by sending a package to him that when opened a hurricane match will light some magnesium and blind his eyes so that he will drop the thing and it will fall on his foot....

jh-retired

LOL... That's great.

His "Consession"/"Solution" really sucks just as bad as his original dishonesty.

KariChelle

Mac Person
Website
homepage.mac.com
Yeah...people who conduct online business should be prepared to conduct that business as if they were a major online retailer. Obviously, an individual can't offer a refund just because you didn't like it or changed your mind, but if something arrives defective, then a refund should be issued.

geistwerks

um, since no one mentioned, and since i know a bit about head phones...

there is no way they could have "broke" in transit with the problems you have stated.

absolutely NO WAY.

the problem you are having is that the wires near the base of the plug have been stretched or broken. this occurs due to improper usage. to be specific, someone unhooked these headphones by pulling on the cord. there's a reason all cables of this sort have a big molded plug that's easy to get your hand on. that's what it's for.

it's not your fault, and joe sounds like a real schmuck for not refunding your money, but then again, he probably has a story to tell too.

i wouldn't try to repair the phones, it's not that it's difficult, it's just that it's a hassle and if you aren't an expert at this sort of thing, you'll end up with a sloppy end result that will break down again in a matter of weeks.

i never purchase used head phones. it's one my rules. best to go to a serious music equipment store, and buy the phones there. heck, most places let you listen to them, which IMO is VERY important if you are going to drop some cash on some pro phones. plus, sales clerks can fill you in on each model. i went with a friend who was going to pay $500 for a pair of phones, and the clerk actually told him he needed a $300 pair for what he was doing (this is a guy on commission here, folks) cause my friend needed to hear a "darker" sound (he uses these for reference only).

so, i hope things work out for you, and i'm sorry you had a bad experience. maybe you 2 can come to some sort of agreement...?

Macman

Well,

Since launching a PayPal dispute, posting here on iPodlounge and bouncing a few more emails back and forth, an understanding was reached and my original puchase price has been refunded.

Thanks to all those who responded. It's been an experience I hope not to duplicate in the future.

Cheers,
Jason.

dcx693

Very cool! Nice to hear that there is justice and fairness in this world (or at least on ipodlounge!).