Ringtones available on iTunes

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

happyha31

The selection is really bad. None of the songs I want as ringtones are available. This is ridiculous.

deftdrummer1

The power that be.
Jobs says he hopes to have all songs available on itunes available as ringtones by the end of the year. I can't believe Apple has the audacity to charge another $.99 for a song you already paid for. Give me a break, the future is devices that can be manually controlled not locked into the Apple world of money grubbing vampires.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
deftdrummer1 said:
Jobs says he hopes to have all songs available on itunes available as ringtones by the end of the year. I can't believe Apple has the audacity to charge another $.99 for a song you already paid for. Give me a break, the future is devices that can be manually controlled not locked into the Apple world of money grubbing vampires.

It's funny that a guy who's signature says "live by the iPod, die by the iPod" made this post.

I don't think Apple made this decision because they wanted to make more money. I think the directive came from the record companies.

Oh, and shouldn't it be "live by iPod, die by iPod"?

rldunn

Has anyone actually gotten an iTunes ringtone on the iPhone? I created one, purchased it, but when I go to sync, it says ""Remember the Name" was not copied to the iPhone "iPhone" because you are not authorized to play it on this computer."

Then, I saw this post on Apple's site, which if true, is good news for 2 reasons - 1) it explains my problem, and 2) our next update is coming soon.

So, any luck by anyone, or is my setup messed up somehow. I should mention that I'm syncing from a PC, have 7.4.1(2), and everything else syncs just fine, just not the ringtone.

rldunn

Sorry to answer my own question, but this may apply to someone else as well. Found another post on the Apple site that helped.

After you buy your first ringtone, go to the Ringtones section (link at the top right, under Music, Movies, etc). Then, double-click on one of the ringtones, and it will prompt you to reauthorize your computer (not sure why). After you do this, you can sync, and it works just fine.

Germansuplex

You can still make your own ringtones from within iTunes using any song you want without any other software.

Now that you have the ringtone menu on the left where you can view your ringtones, this makes it easy.

1. Find any non-protected song file you want from within iTunes.
2. Use the Get Info -> Options -> Start/End times to edit the mp3/music file to the start/stop times of your choice.
3. Make sure that in Preferences -> Advanced -> Importing, you have AAC set as the filetype. Probably 128kbps is perfect.
4. Right-click on the track you edited and choose "Convert Selection To AAC".
5. Right-click on the original song file and clear the start/end times by unticking the checkboxes so they'll go back to playing as normal.
6. Right-click on the new clip you made and choose "Show in Windows Explorer"
7. Now, right-click on the file IN iTUNES and choose "Remove" "Keep File".
8. Rename the extension of the file in the Windows Folder from ".m4a" to ".m4r". If you don't have extensions showing, you will have to go to tools -> folder options -> view -> and untick the "Hide extensions for known file types box". This will show you the extension so you can rename it.
9. Double-click on the file and it will be added to the ringtones menu in iTunes. Click on the ringtone graphic on the left side of iTunes and you should see the song in the list.
10. Right-click on the ringtone and choose "Show in Windows Explorer".
11. Rename the file BACK to .m4a.
12. Double-click on the ringtone in iTunes. iTunes can't find the file because you've changed the name. Choose to find the song, and show iTunes where it is. It will still be in the ringtones folder and now you can sync it to your iPhone.

If you follow these instructions, they work. This may have been the workaround described by "rename the m4r to m4a" that was out a week ago, but the directions weren't clear. This should help.

Alternatively, you could first use a third-party app to add fade-in, fade-out and effects to your ringtones before importing them into iTunes and following the instructions above.

Last edited:

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
What amazes me is, nobody talks about buying a $15 bux firmware and make all the ringtones u heart's desire.

All u want is EZ, NOW, and FREE. Apple is no charity ya know.

Germansuplex

The end result is the same.

I wasn't complaining at all. I was just offering the info to people who are. I could care less. I have two homemade ringtones on my iPhone and I still use Marimba :).

glene

had no problem on itunes finding one of my fav "Little Feat" songs - had it as a ring tone with a few clicks....

duceduc

germansuplex:

Do we need the itunes7.4 ver to do this? I have 7.3 After I rename the file and double click on file, I don't see it in itunes.