REVIEW: Mothers Mag&Alum Polish for Chrome Back

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Riceboi

Homeless Member
Overview: Mothers Mag&Alum Polish for Chrome Back w/ pics

Well i have finally decided to polish my back and after readin one post with the mentioning of Mothers Mag&Alum Polish i decided to give it a try (since it was only 5 bucks). I used a military boot polishing cloth (thx AAFES :) ) but if you need a good cloth you can try searching the forum. Overall my ipod's back wasn't as scratched up to some people, but to others it can be a horrendous site :p . I applied the polish by moving the cloth in a back and forth motion than began circling around certain areas with heavy scratches. The polish easily removed from light scratches and the heavy scratches were much less noticeable as they previously really really bugged me. The time it took for me was about 4-5 minutes as it will depend on how much you really want to rub that cloth/polish to the back. You can purchase this product from your local Autozone or Pepboyz. You also have the choice of purchasing from the web with this site: http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/ch05100.html . I was happy with the delivery time. I will post pictures as that will be the best solution rather than typin on and on and on and on...

I'm not really in a position to say this is the best product out there....because we all know the best way to have a scratch-free ipod is to go out and buy a new one. But for those of us who do not have the money, i think for 5bucks (4 bucks shipping) it does a pretty good job compared to ice cremes that cost more. Overall i am satisfied with the results and for those of you who have asked for pics, I hope this has helped a little. :) I will soon be recieving the novus plastic polish and i will also see if there is any improvement.

Last edited:

element89

Superior Being
Website
google.com
Told you all it works pretty good. :)
Awesome that you got your scratches to almost dissapear, I fell in love with this polish when the same thing happened to mine.
C you all later! :)

SkippyMcHaggis

how does the etched apple logo and serial number information hold up to the polish? i'd be sorta concerned about buffing that out over time...

Skip

Riceboi

Homeless Member
seems to hold out well....that question has been asked with-i think- brasso....if i remember correctly...i think there were no problems.

styles

ipod geek in denial
Has anyone done a comparison between brasso and Mothers? I'm probably going to head out to the store tomorrow to pick one or the other up. Can't decide which one to try.

noname

Player
I also tryed mothers but i used a cheap sunglasses cloth and wasn't too happy with the results. Granted it did remove all the scratches but it left a billion hardly noticable ones in it's place (you have to look at the ipod at a certain angle) I'll try this product again when i get a better cloth because this which might have been the problem.

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
daffydoos, go for it :p

As for the best, cheapest method of this, just go to any supermarket and buy a product called brasso (or just any metal polisher) and it does the trick beautifully, you don't need expensive alternatives.

styles

ipod geek in denial
Adam said:
daffydoos, go for it :p

As for the best, cheapest method of this, just go to any supermarket and buy a product called brasso (or just any metal polisher) and it does the trick beautifully, you don't need expensive alternatives.
How does brasso work on the front of the ipod??? I'm probably going to buy some ice creme anyways, but i wanted to try all my options.

Riceboi

Homeless Member
brasso is for metal...more specifically brass but it is said to work well with the back...so i doubt it would do anything for the front....i'll try novus plastic polish and see how that works out

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
styles said:
How does brasso work on the front of the ipod??? I'm probably going to buy some ice creme anyways, but i wanted to try all my options.
Well, duh! This thread is about the back.

styles

ipod geek in denial
Adam said:
Well, duh! This thread is about the back.
I realize that, but seeing as how people mentioned brasso, I thought I might as well shoot my question out, as opposed to starting a new thread.

;)

altcountryman

no depression
that pic of the lid for the Mother's polish got me thinking - would waxing the back of the iPod with a good caranuba wax be a good way to protect it? Or would that not work on the iPod's finish?