restricting text messages on my childrens' iPads

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

gib65

Hello,

How can I restrict who my children receive and send text messages from/to? They both got new iPad from their grandparents and I would really like to restrict them from sending and receiving text messages from just anyone. If they want to send/receive from a new person, I would like to enable that myself on a per-person basis.

Note I'm asking about text messages, not iMessages. I have iMessages disabled.

I also have family sharing enabled.

cjmnews

Staff member
iPads are not phones, so they should not be getting text messages, as they have no phone number. It is possible if you tell the iPad to share an iPhone to send and receive text messages, but that takes extra work, this is not enabled by default.

So really, the iPad should not be receiving text messages. Only iMessages.

Are they getting text messages?

gib65

iPads are not phones, so they should not be getting text messages, as they have no phone number. It is possible if you tell the iPad to share an iPhone to send and receive text messages, but that takes extra work, this is not enabled by default.

So really, the iPad should not be receiving text messages. Only iMessages.

Are they getting text messages?
On a second inspection, I realize you're right. My daughter is receiving iMessages. Not sure why I was so convinced they were text messages.

But in any case, is there a way to limit who she sends to and who she receives from?

cjmnews

Staff member
About all you can do is filter out the ones not in her contacts.

Settings->Messages slide on Filter Unknown Senders

This will not notify them of messages that are from unknown contacts. These messages will then be put in a separate section. You can then go through these and Block them if you choose.

I don't see a way to filter any more than that. There may be some 3rd party software, I am not aware of it.

gib65

About all you can do is filter out the ones not in her contacts.

Settings->Messages slide on Filter Unknown Senders

This will not notify them of messages that are from unknown contacts. These messages will then be put in a separate section. You can then go through these and Block them if you choose.

I don't see a way to filter any more than that. There may be some 3rd party software, I am not aware of it.
Thanks cj, that ought to do it.

cjmnews

Staff member
Now the filtering just moves the messages to a separate section. Notifications are partially disabled, so the lock screen will not show the new messages. Once you log in, the number of real messages and filtered messages will be on the messages icon, until they are read. The filtered messages are in a different "tab" of messages called "Unknown Senders". You can read these like normal messages, but they are separated.

Be sure to add family as contacts to the device to ensure they get notifications generated and show up in the normal list.