Restoring iMessage Texts from iCloud?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MoonlitShadow

Hi Everyone,

Recently upgraded a phone from 6S Plus to 8 Plus. I no longer have the 6S and all data from that phone has been erased.

There are 2 separate backups for the 6S I had. My music, video, and books are backed up to my computer, because more than half of my library was not purchased from iTunes. My Photos, Notes, iMessages, etc are backed up to iCloud.

After purchasing the 8 Plus, I synced/restored from the computer's iTunes backup (which for whatever reason took 3 tries), but everything has been recovered/moved to the 8 Plus except for unfortunately texts in iMessage that I need ASAP. I have signed into iCloud on the phone, plugged into power, waited 24 hours (as advised by Apple), but unfortunately they have not yet appeared in iMessage on the phone.

I can't erase this phone and restore from iCloud Backup because my main backup is from iTunes on the computer, and I just spent hours getting that backup to the new phone. Will there be any way to restore these texts to iM without restoring the phone again? How can I retrieve those texts from iCloud, and does anyone have any idea why they have not appeared on this new phone yet?

cjmnews

Staff member
Did you go into Settings->Apple ID->iCloud and enable Messages?

You may also need to do Notes and Photos as well. This could be the missing step.

MoonlitShadow

Did you go into Settings->Apple ID->iCloud and enable Messages?

You may also need to do Notes and Photos as well. This could be the missing step.
If you mean Settings, click on my name, then iCloud, turn on iMessage (under Apps using iCloud) then yes, I have done that. All Apps are turned on there other than Mail.

The main thing that doesn't make sense is the total data saved to iCloud is the same amount that was saved before the 6S was erased. So, all data is there, but the texts won't download from iCloud and appear on the phone. Any idea why?

cjmnews

Staff member
If the texts were blue (actual iMessage) they should have restored as soon as you enabled iMessage in iCloud.
If the texts were green (SMS messages from non-iPhones) they are NOT stored in iCloud and can not be restored from enabling iCloud.

If they were green, then you should go to the old phone, turn OFF iMessage in iCloud, back up to iTunes, restore your new phone to that backup and the messages will be put onto the new phone. You mentioned above the old phone is erased, then these green messages are gone.

Since you say you had Photos up there, you may have consumed the free 5GB with photos, and there is no storage left for other things like iMessages. There are reasons to not enable iCloud Photo Library, unless you are willing to pay for the storage. But as you say above, you can see the storage for the messages. In this case I would shut down the new phone (power it all the way off) then turn on, and see it the iCloud iMessages appear.