Restoring a lower iOS to a new iPhone with later iOS??

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

viper69

I have a feeling this isn't possible, but I'll ask.

I have an iPhone X, running iOS 11.4., 64Gig of memory, only 50% used.

I'll be getting an iPhone Xs Max, it came with iOS 12 on it.

Am I able to take my backup of my X w/ iOS 11.4, and put onto the Xs Max that has a higher iOS? I think not, but wanted to ask.

Does restoring transfer over your data ONLY? Or does restoring write over the memory of the phone, and in my case, installs the older OS 11.4?

I don't know if there's a way to transfer over just my apps, contacts and photos etc.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

cjmnews

Staff member
That is not possible. New iPhones require the new iOS to run. They cannot be downgraded.

When you restore, all your data, apps and most of your settings will transfer (using an encrypted backup will restore all your settings). The operating system is put onto the device before your data is added.

viper69

That is not possible. New iPhones require the new iOS to run. They cannot be downgraded.

When you restore, all your data, apps and most of your settings will transfer (using an encrypted backup will restore all your settings). The operating system is put onto the device before your data is added.

Thanks CJ, I read your PM, I’ve noticed the same user behavior re forums elsewhere too, not just here.

Thanks for the info! You’re an incredible resource!!