remote & the ipod video 5g

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

lectrospin

I had a 4g ipod monochrome for a few years which i used with a remote, i just upgraded to a 5g video expecting to be able to still use the remote only to find it doesnt have a remote jack! Seems kinda bizarre that they took out an important feature like this. Was there a technical issue with compatability? Anyway am i right in thinking that i cant use a remote with the 5g?

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
Yes, the remote jack was removed in the 5G and iPod Nano when they were first released last year. The reasons for this are open to speculation -- the 5G doesn't look like it has much room for a remote port up there with the new screen dimensions, but at the same time Apple does make licensing fees from dock connector accessories.

However, it doesn't change the fact that the remote port isn't there any more and isn't likely coming back. All accessories must now connect to the dock port (with the obvious exception of earphones). Further, nobody has produces any kind of dock-port based adapter.

There are remotes available that will connect to the dock port, but unfortunately your existing one will no longer work.

You can check out our Remote Control Reviews for reviews on the various devices that are available and whether or not they work with the 5G.

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
It definitely does allow for a more functional remote, as there are many more signals that can be sent to the iPod, as well as the possibility of feedback.

However, at this point most of the remotes that have been released for the dock port don't really do anything else from a "remote control" point of view, although they do add other features (like Apple's FM Radio/Remote).