Remote app...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

XDRoX

Is the new update to the remote app worth getting? I noticed that now you have to put in a password to get it to work??? Seems like a hassle. With the old version you could just open the app and take control of the ATV. Seemed easier to use. And you have to have a PC with iTunes on it to set everything up now. It was so much easier with the old remote app.

I deleted the new version from my new iPhone 5 and plugged it into my PC and got the old version. The one with the black triangle play button, and all is simple again. But am I missing something? Should I update to the newer version of remote?

And with my old version I can take control of any ATV as long as I'm on their wifi. Like at my sister's house or my parents' house. With the new version it wants me to password link to iTunes.

What am I missing? Why did they make a very easy to use app more difficult to use?

Thanks

Sparkee

I found no real difference between the old version and new versions, everything seemed to work fine from the start. I do not have to enter any passwords when connecting to my computer, or my ATV 1 and 2 with Remote. I simply select the ATV or iTunes I wish to control with out being prompted for a password. The difference may be the use of Home SHaring now to connect to devices. I have Home Sharing turned on all my iOS devices as well as ATVs which are always logged into my Apple ID. Home Sharing will automatically connect any device to any library associated with my Apple ID.

On my setup Home Sharing is enabled in the iPhones Settings/Music and tap the Home Sharing button at the bottom. Remote's Settings on both my iPhone and iPad Home Sharing is also turned on. It also has the option to add other iTunes Libraries not using Home Sharing by connecting it the old way using the passcode which I do not use. I would assume it will remember this The ATV should also have Home Sharing turned on and logged into your Apple ID.

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
It's also worth noting that the new second- and third-generation Apple TVs only support Home Sharing for the Remote app, and therefore require the new version.

I'm fairly certain the newest version of the Remote app still falls back to the older four-digit-code pairing style for first-generation Apple TV devices, so it really shouldn't make any difference in that regard.

XDRoX

It's also worth noting that the new second- and third-generation Apple TVs only support Home Sharing for the Remote app, and therefore require the new version.

I'm fairly certain the newest version of the Remote app still falls back to the older four-digit-code pairing style for first-generation Apple TV devices, so it really shouldn't make any difference in that regard.
The plot thickens...

I currently have the newest version of ATV. The 1080P version.

With the newest version of Remote I'm required to go through Home Sharing and use that 4 digit code. But if I use my old version of Remote I don't have to go through Home Sharing nor use the 4 digit code.

If I'm way off base let me know, but to the best of my knowledge this is what is happening.

Last edited: