Reggae?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

mrdantownsend

mrdantownsend
Website
www.freewebs.com
hey all, I was hoping for your help

I heard this one reggae song on my iPod that I never knew I had, and I really liked it alot, I think it was from a Thievery Corporation Mix.

But anyway, I thought that I really need to explore this genre further, and was wondering if you guys could give me some really good, perhaps lesser known reggae artists/albumsfor me to look into.

Thanks a bunch :)

toothpaste

Trojan Records. Check them out as they have a huge catalog of artists.

buju banton
beenie man
capleton
tenor saw
spragga benz
bounty killer
cutty ranks
sizzla

In no particular order, old and more current.

bdb

On the B side of life
If you're looking for reggae-sounding downtempo similar to Thievery Corporation, Bill Laswell is great.

A lot of reggae is themed on oppression & racisim, and being a middle-class white guy its hard for me to get into that. Hawaiian reggae is completely the opposite, its usually about lovin' life & surfing (so much so it can be a little sappy at times). A good middle ground can be found in a CD entitled Roots Music: Reggae Hits from Hawaii and the World. There is a second edition that I have, but I can't find it for sale anymore.

Last edited:

Signal to Noise

Yes, there are some really good Reggae albums as toothpaste mentions in addition to Toots & the Maytals, Bob Marley (along with Ziggy & Stephen), Peter Tosh, Jimmy Cliff, etc.

But, if there is one more contemporary album I think anyone should give a listen to it's:

Sinead O'Connor - Throw Down Your Arms

Sinead covers classic, yet more obscure, reggae tunes and they are very well done. Sinead has a great voice.

MizzReese

Priide at its's best.
bdb said:
If you're looking for reggae-sounding downtempo similar to Thievery Corporation, Bill Laswell is great.

A lot of reggae is themed on oppression & racisim, and being a middle-class white guy its hard for me to get into that. Hawaiian reggae is completely the opposite, its usually about lovin' life & surfing (so much so it can be a little sappy at times). A good middle ground can be found in a CD entitled Roots Music: Reggae Hits from Hawaii and the World. There is a second edition that I have, but I can't find it for sale anymore.

Not technicially reggae if it isnt Jamaican. Has to be sung in Patois.

bdb

On the B side of life
MizzReese said:
Not technicially reggae if it isnt Jamaican. Has to be sung in Patois.
Says who? Seems a bit pedantic, given all the music that is considered reggae these days.

Edit: I just heard another good one last night, Bedouin Sound System. They have a great sound. My favorite song is "Shadow of a Man". (warning: its not sung in Patois)

Last edited:

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
bdb said:
Says who? Seems a bit pedantic, given all the music that is considered reggae these days.

Edit: I just heard another good one last night, Bedouin Sound System. They have a great sound. My favorite song is "Shadow of a Man". (warning: its not sung in Patois)
I would like to unreccomend this band. I saw them on the Canadian music awards (Junos?) last year and they were quite bothersome. To each his own though.

I tend to think of Bob Marley as the be all end all of reggae, but I need to listen to some of these suggestions.

toothpaste

papayaninja said:
I tend to think of Bob Marley as the be all end all of reggae, but I need to listen to some of these suggestions.
This would seem to be a statement from a person that knows very little about the genre. We all do it when we don't know. Bob was most notable because he accomplished what many thought would be impossible. He had two rival factions come to his show and shake hands on stage. Anyway, Bob was great and his music is great however there is more to reggae than just Bob.

Signal to Noise

bdb said:

FYI, the group is "Bedouin Soundclash", not 'System'. For a bit of trivia their name is taken from a 1996 Badawi's album title, another reggae artist from....Israel.

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
toothpaste said:
This would seem to be a statement from a person that knows very little about the genre.
Yep. That's why I need to listen to more....

Anyway, RatherPlayHalo posted the following in the wrong thread, figured I'd put it here:

"They're featured in the February 7, 2006 entry of this blog."

melsmusic

John Butler Trio has a blues/roots/reggae sound. In particular "Groovin' Slowly" off their latest album Grand National. It has a real Bob Marley reggae feel to it, and I know John Butler admired Bob a lot so has been influenced by his music.

Code Monkey

toothpaste said:
Bob was great and his music is great however there is more to reggae than just Bob.
Blasphemer!

;)

Marley is undoubtedly my favorite, but there are definitely others worth listening to.

Some of my recommendations would be Burning Spear, Black Uhuru, Jimmy Cliff, Peter Tosh, and Steel Pulse.

mrdantownsend

mrdantownsend
Website
www.freewebs.com
So far I listened to a lot of stuff from Trojan records and disliked it, and I jsut got some Steel Pulse and really like it, and I'm downloading some Marley and I'll be checking out as many of your reccommendations as I can.

Thanks and keep them coming

Last edited:

bdb

On the B side of life
Marley's Legend was my first reggae album, and still probably my best. I bought it on cassette back in the 80s, then I got it on CD later.

toothpaste

^^^I had some Marley tapes in the early 80's when I lived in South Africa, Marley was huge then. Wow.

mrdantownsend,

check out some dancehall

various - early 90's dancehall mix vol. 1

this is a compilation of many different artists so you can get a good sampling of many artists. Pick and choose what you like. 93 tracks, 46 artists. variety is the spice of life.

mrdantownsend

mrdantownsend
Website
www.freewebs.com
/\ Yeah thanks, IMHO Sublime was one that was majorly overlooked

I'm gonna keep looking at youz' guyz' recommendations, because Most of what was posted has been great so far

Thanks to everyone