• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Redheads extinct by 2100

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

stevesurf

In a spinning class
This is an interesting article on how rare your friend's red hair may actually be. Now, please, before we have a run on scalping, there's still a great deal of red-headed men and women in europe still around.

So do you know a redhead? Are you one? My girlfriend is actually a redhead, although her hair turned totally white after a car accident and she a dyed blond.

So maybe let's encourge redheads to get together and keep their little population alive instead of succumbing to us dominent brown hair gene types :)

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
Without getting too technical, I knew 3 people from about 100 in in our school grade. So let's assume redheads account for 3% of all people. That's 18 million people who, if they don't marry, will let the red-head gene pool die.

That's an awful lot of people.

But personally I have nothing against red-heads :)

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
Hmmm...Well, people can always die their hair red..even though they wouldn't be considered an authentic "redhead"

Mina

ipodlounge beaver
Ok they say that the ginger hair gene is ressesive, so for all i know i could have the ressesive gene for ginger hair but its dominated by my brown hair gene, so if i marry and have children with somebody else with brown hair and a ressesive ginger gene (recap: neither of us would have to have ginger hair) then theres a quater possibility of producing a child with ginger hair.

Therefore i very much agree that they will become rarer over time, but exstinct? I very much doubt. The problem with that article is they didn't make the distinction between pure homozygous ressesives and the heterozygous ressesives who show the phenotype of brown/black/blonde hair, basically how many people are there with the ressesive ginger gene but dominent gene and those who are "pure".

So what i'm getting at is, there could be no ginger people in the world, and it would still not be "extinct". This is becuase a heterozygous ressive couple will always have that quater possibility of a ginger child, which would then have to be homozygous and the cyle continues.

Mina.

Last edited:

whymillywhy

Almost Jesus
Well, based on our family history, our red hair skips generations, so my kid's kids aka grandchildren should have red hair, both my brothers have it, my aunt has it, and my great grandparents had it.
I am actually kind of proud of my red hair, because it is a very deep red, I always get comments on how good it looks, I just don't like bright red hair, it looks really udly if you ask me, but a lot of people used to try to dye their hair to make it look like mine, and never suceeded, but redheads gone by 2100, I kind of doubt it

stevesurf

In a spinning class
Mina said:
ressesive ginger gene (recap: neither of us would have to have ginger hair) then theres a quater possibility of producing a child with ginger hair.

Mina.
Wow I've never heard of ginger as hair color. I guess this is primarily in the UK, right. When someone says ginger I think of a sushi condiment or my GFs dog :)

iMacc

'' Mr 10 Posts A Day ''
Website
www.last.fm
stevesurf said:
Wow I've never heard of ginger as hair color. I guess this is primarily in the UK, right. When someone says ginger I think of a sushi condiment or my GFs dog :)
Lindsay Lohan is a good example of what most people in the UK would call ginger haired.

neb

Mina said it all for me. To see such times when red hair is extinct will surely not arrive. The presence of red hair could be descried as asymptotic, never quite reaching extinction.

I don't have a problem with red hair, although I don't find it attractive. We had a mate at school who was nicknamed "Ginge", and some of the my best memories were of teasing him (all good mannered you must understand). So as long as I always have a ginger mate, then I'm happy! :)

pmad

My hair was red/orange as a Child. It is now mostly brown with a red tint to it. (I'm 34)
I have two boys one Strawberry Blonde and one lightbrown/ ginger.

Guess I should start nailin' all the red head lasses I can.
My wife won't like it though. ;)