Reccomendation for Etyomic (sp) earplugs

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

skruggie

I have been a devoted user of the Shure e3 for the past year and a half. However I started having a problem with them about 2 months ago with the right ear not playing unless I fiddled with the cord.

That, however, is not my main problem. Yesterday when I took them out of my ear, my ears were all clogged. Apparently the wax in my ear has been backing up from keeping myself plugged up for about 7 or so hours a day during the week while I'm at work. I resolved the problem with eardrops and the clogging is gone, however I really have no desire to repeat this experience. And this did not happen by not cleaing out the plugs, which I do on a regular basis. This wax was backed up pretty far in my ear, it was like I had a layer blocking my hearing.

Can anyone tell me something about the Etyomic - which I can't spell to save my life - brand? I was researching them via reviews and on ebay. It looks like I can get them new on ebay for $175 for the level that would be comparable to the shure e3.. Are they worth the money? Will I have this same issue with earwax backing up through my ear canal?

And most importantly, my ears are very small. I picked the Shure e3's over the e2's because they were comfortable and fit in my ears perfectly. How would the Etyomic onces compare to this?

I appreciate any input I can get, especiall from those with small ears....

feh1325

suggests koss ksc75
i'm assuming you're looking at the etymotic er4. they are longer than our shure e3 and stick out. they are very analytical and detailed.

unfortunately, most iems are basically the same. you'll probably have the earwax problem.

so i don't know...hmm...maybe go to ultimate ear products. the superfi. 5 pro are in that price range. instead of having a single driver like the shure and etymotic have, the superfi. 5 pros have two drivers. they also isolate as much...maybe reducing your earwax problem.

if its that bad, maybe switch to a closed headphone

skruggie

I found the superfi.pro for $179 on a website that is made by a audio company - that seems to be the cheapest Ican find them, does that sound about right?

What is the difference between having two drivers and one driver? Sound and isolation is incredibly important to me, it's the reason I went with the shures to begin with.

Switching to a closed headphone is not an option for me, as I need sound isolation. Thanks, I appreciate your input.

skruggie

I found the superfi 5 on ebay brand new for $139...only problem is I can't find them in black for the same price range. But from the descriptions and a review I found on cnet it sounds like they are comparable,if not better, than the shure e3. I'm just not sure if they will help with the earwax issue.