Read this first: A guide to installing an ipod in your car

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

yoda_20

Thanks

I bought the Itrip and was disappointed by the sound quality. Finally I stumbled across your artical and the links you provided lead me to the cable for my Alpine CDA 7875 that i could not find. Now i am just waitting for Ups. Thanks Again!!

bhb399mm

Website
www.audi-forums.com
Re: Mazda 3

cptodd said:
I just ordered a new Mazda 3. When I looked I noticed a "Tape/MD" button (see here: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/mazda3/gallery.jsp?car=4&id=6). Do you think that that MD stands for MiniDisk as in Sony MiniDisk? If so, what could that mean for hooking up an iPod to a Mazda 3?
i would assume that there would be some kind of input for a tape or MD player behind the head unit somewhere. i'd email mazda or go to a dealer and ask how they would install a tape player if you wanted one. maybe you'll get lukcy and there will be RCA inputs back there. if not, i'm sure somone (blitz or pie) will be coming out with an adapter soon

cptodd

Re: Re: Mazda 3

bhb399mm said:
i would assume that there would be some kind of input for a tape or MD player behind the head unit somewhere. i'd email mazda or go to a dealer and ask how they would install a tape player if you wanted one. maybe you'll get lukcy and there will be RCA inputs back there. if not, i'm sure somone (blitz or pie) will be coming out with an adapter soon
I looked over at the Mazda forums and the MD/Aux port does not seem to provide an advantage. Oh well.

snaw

Hire Cars

I think I know the answer already but I just want to be sure.

I live in NYC, I don't own a car (Unusually enough in in Manhattan), but do find myself renting one several times a year, for big roadtrips. These hire cars always seem to come with CD players.

I want to use my iPod (Else why post here), and I'm thinking my only real option is an FM transmitter. Do I guess right? (Please say no, cause I'm not liking what I'm hearing about them)

-J-

remlover

I think my last message got eaten or i forgot to hit send. lol

Anyways, just a few quick questions:

If i buy a CD player from Best Buy w/ an Auxiliary input in the back, will BB have the necessary cords/wires i would need to hook it up to my iPod?

I have read up on the Belkin Car Kit. Can the car kit hook up to the back up of my Stereo into the Aux In ? If i hook up the Car Kit directly to my Aux In and not mess around w/ the Transmitter will i avoid the Static and poor sound that some people experience w/ the Car Kit?

Thank you for putting up w/ the Newbie...i hope someone can answer my questions.

ned8989

I think this was mentioned a little bit earlier up, but once the iPod is hardwired through the CD imput as it would be in my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, you basically cannot play CD's without unplugging the whole deal? And on top of that, what is the deal with the Security Code? Is it necessary, or can I just take out my radio and start installing right away?

Last edited:

bhb399mm

Website
www.audi-forums.com
the security code will only be necessary if you disconect your car's power.

i'm not quite sure what you mean by not being able to play CDs, but in the event that you have an external CD changer, many times you will not be able to have a CD changer AND ipod hooked up(which isnt a problem with the music capacity of the ipod). as far as an in dash CD player, you would just have to switch the soucre (form CD to CD changer) to get the ipod to play (usually the ipod occupies the CD changer input)

jgobey

ALPINE CDM-7833 won't recognise new input

I have the same problem as a previous post with my Alpine CDM-7833. Plugged in the M-bus connector, but HU won't recognise that the additional input is being used, when I press source, or the "F" button. Is there a way to swith this option on as mentioned before? Looked all through the manual, doesn't mention this anywhere. I am so close to having my Ipod directly connected to my stereo....help

jgobey

Ok, so if you have an OLDER Alpine HU, the M-bus cable will not work. The input will only work with a CD changer. I put in a new Alpine HU, and now the M-bus cable works.

DrewT

Website
cntp.rh.ncsu.edu
Not to be picky or anything, but you said that the line out provided a line-level balanced connection. The output is not balanced, it is unbalanced output. It is still line level, but is not a balanced signal however. If anyone is curious about the differences between balanced and unbalanced audio, check out google, it's pretty intresting to anyone with an intrest in electronics/audo.

again, I'm not trying to be picky or anything, just thought you may wanna know.

-Drew

jgobey

Follow up:Replaced (old) Alpine HU with brand new one CDM-9821. Sound was great for 3 weeks, then all of a sudden, it is terrible from Ipod only. So much static noise, can barely listen. Checked cable connections, can't see anything wrong. Any suggestions? Is something not grounded properly or something?

thesearcher

Wired FM Modulator avail. in Canada?

Is there a mail-order/Internet or BigBox store in Canada that carries the Audiovox unit, or something similiar?

Last edited:

HiPod

Nice thread! Very good info here.

Is there a cheaper solution for my Sony CDXM800/Changer?
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piesonaux.html

This splitter does everything and even auto sense the input from the ipod and blocks the sound signal from the changer, but it's $70. Can I just use some existing splitters and stop the changer from playing?

-HiPod

ras1121

2005 Honda Accord Stock Unit

I am looking to install a CD changer AUX plug to an RCA plug, but right now I am having a really hard time locating this, Honda told me they don't make them and Curcit City told me they don't carry them, basically saying that if honda doesn't make them, then they don't exist.

any information would hhelp me greatly!

thank you

thegreatbing

Jetta Install

All of these different things to buy for a jetta install. Has anyone thought of just splicing into the left/right audio coming from the cd changer. You could just put the splice on a switch to switch from the cd changer to the ipod(aux) left right audio. The vw won't know any diffence since the control wires will still be connected. This option does not let you have control of the ipod via the console, but who cares.

Is this idea flawed in any way?

studioe

Hi, I am new here... I have read all of the car install posts and think I understand it. I have a new model car... 350z Roadster with a BOSE in dash CD changer. I have to look but I don't think it has any input on the front. Does any one have any experience with this system? I want to create an iPod friendly sound system and I want to make at "pretty" as possible.

eddan

Saving some money

If you're trying to save money when you're installing the iPod in your car and you have an old car charger of some sort laying around, make your own power supply. I followed a guide from iPoding.com and it works great!

You can read more about my iPod Car Charger over at http://eirikhodne.blogspot.com