Read this first: A guide to installing an ipod in your car

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

gerrybpalmer

pobzilla said:
Thanks for your nice post.

I have an older Alpine cda 7839 headunit in my maxima. I have attached the correct ainet adapter to the back of the stereo, to the radio shack 3' rca converter. I have that wire attached to the SiK auto kit so it connects directly to my 3rd gen ipod.

Anyone have any idea why my car stereo isn't recognizing there's a plug in the back? I hit source and also cd-changer on my remote and it's not changing any mode other than radio and CD.

Please help me figure it out if you have any ideas.

Did you figure this deck out with the ipod? I have the same deck and have to know whether to buy a new deck or not! Thanks!

novakrj

2001 Lexus ES 300

Thanks for this amazing thread and expecially the initial post by Pnkrck83.

I went to the link provided to find the aux input adapter for my 2001 lexus es 300 and it costs $335!!! Is there another option for me? About halfway through this thread someone asked about the possibility of splicing right into the cd changer wires. Possible?

Thanks for any feedback.

chadhugo

All the adaptors always seem to be very thick and ugly, anyone know of any trendy ones for my car?

ddarko777

"Optimal" solution without Bluetooth

K, I haven't read through the gazillion pages of posts in this thread but so far I haven't seen anyone suggest my idea so here it is. This method should allow you to listen to both your music and phone calls over your car stereo WITHOUT using Bluetooth.

What's required:

- Car mount of your choice w/ built in charger
- Device-agnostic universal FM transmitter (using 3.5mm headphone-style jack)
- Griffin SmartTalk adapter or similar device, see: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/griffin-smarttalk-headphone-adapter-with-control-mic-for-iphone/

Based on this list you probably got the idea. Mount your iphone into the car mount and then plug the SmartTalk (or similar) device into the iphone. Next, plug the universal FM transmitter into the SmarTalk adapter and you're done! Any and all audio will now pipe through your car's stereo and the mic on the adapter will allow you to use the phone. :cool:

In essence, this is basically just like using the wired headphone-mic except that you are replacing the earbuds with an FM transmitter to pipe sound through your car's stereo. The wires can be tucked away behind the car mount using a harness of some sort (twist tie) or you can dice and splice to shorten them.

The only potential issue I see with this is that the mic may not adequately pick up your voice from this distance but with some creative wiring it should be fully possible to discreetly position the mic closer to you if needed. [EDIT] Another potential problem that occurred to me is that there may be some feedback noise when the sound from the speaker enters the mic since it is expecting you to have ear buds on. Then again, the phone may just use the same algorithm as when in speaker mode in which case no problem. Anyway, just thought I'd add that. [/EDIT]

Here is one product I came across that may potentially eliminate some of the clutter. A car mount with built in power and a FM transmitter that supports both iphone/ipod AND 3.5mm connections (however it looks kinda cheap): http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6031

Last edited:

fenelCake

nsiebenmor:
I've been using my 60GB ipod video in my car for a couple months using an RCA to mini cable plugged into the headphone jack and usb cable connected to the lighter charger for charging. I'm the type of person that wants the best sound possible. Everything sounds very close to cd quality but I've read some things saying you can get better sound quality through the dock port. Is this true? Would I get better sound out of the Ten Technology Flexdock? More reasons I'm looking at a different solution to what I've been using is I don't like all the wires for one, and I also don't like having two volume adjustments-through the ipod and the headunit. What about the Blitzsafe option, they don't have a very good website so I couldn't find too much info on it. Does the apple dock station have a stereo hook up option on the back? I am willing to spend money to get the best sound but if possible I don't want to go overboard. I already bought the charger and THX certified RCA cable. But I can get rid of that stuff if need be. However, if I won't get better sound than the setup I have it's not worth it to me. Thanks for any help.

i use a perepheral connector, and it connects directly into an ipod from the head unit, i know you will lose some quality if you put too many connectors from the ipod to the head, ie 3.5mm to rca to din conector, even if you are using the best kind of connectors

mattjolley

can anyone help me? I recently bought a sony cd player for my car, and its got a usb connection specifically for iPods. However, when i plug it in, it says 'connected' on the screen like when its connected to your computer and therefore i can't choose the songs it just plays them all randomly. plus, there's no way to eject the iPod so at the moment i just power off the cd player then disconnect.

Can you get control of your ipod somehow??

dension

Hi All,
To be honest I am a bit disappointed to see that Dension is mentioned nowhere above in spite of the fact that it was founder of the first FM transmitter - ice>Link.

Is that because you don't know about Dension solutions for iPod, iPhone, Bluetooth and USB car integration and need more information or above post was only about Panavise products and I am just a bit lost?

S2_Mac

You'll need to speak a little louder for folks to hear you way back in 2004-2005 ;-) Perhaps Denison gear didn't get included in the original post because that was right around the time they were asking ~$240 for an ICElink -- ouch!

...or above post was only about Panavise products and I am just a bit lost?

Actually, on first glance it appears that you're not "lost" so much as you're being a Denison fanboi/shill -- using a company name for your logon, responding to a topic that hasn't seen any actvity in 3 1/2 years, and posting little more than a hipster plug for someone's gear....

Or am I just a bit lost?

angeluH

Re: A guide to installing an ipod in your car

Thanks! It was an awesome and very helpful post.