Read this first: A guide to installing an ipod in your car

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

pobzilla

apline cda 7839 won't recognize

Thanks for your nice post.

I have an older Alpine cda 7839 headunit in my maxima. I have attached the correct ainet adapter to the back of the stereo, to the radio shack 3' rca converter. I have that wire attached to the SiK auto kit so it connects directly to my 3rd gen ipod.

Anyone have any idea why my car stereo isn't recognizing there's a plug in the back? I hit source and also cd-changer on my remote and it's not changing any mode other than radio and CD.

Please help me figure it out if you have any ideas.

lamofo

info overload

ok. so I have read every audio solution known to man so far in "how to " get my Ipod to play the best in my 2000 Ford Explorer. And I hate to say it, but I am left confused with all the options. In order to connect or "hardwire" my Ipod to my stock CD/Radio stereo, i'd have to get this audio converter from the input in the back ( which would have to be internet ordered and wait for it). Then get the RCA jack to mini converter. Or use that Belkin thing to connect to the charger and get the cleaner signal. And get it professionally installed.

All these things add up.

Is not the easier softer way to just get one of those new Aiwa stereo's that has an input right there on the faceplate? They have them at Best Buy down the street for $109.00 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1072284972827&skuId=6263599&type=product&cmp=++. Done. Just plug it in and go. All for cheaper and faster then all these damm converters.

Are'nt these new Aiwa's better then a Ford stock stereo anyways.

Or am I just facing info overload. I just really want to use my Ipod in my car asap.
It sucks to listen to bad radio when you have your record collection in your hand and can not hear it.

Last edited:

tgower

Maroon_tiger said:
I just got back from bestbuy... they installed it in like 10mins.. for only $15..... I didnt care cus i wanted to make sure that nothing went wrong.... they slid the stereo cord under the cig liter and it plugs right into the line/out socket on my iMount...

There IS A CLEAR DIFFERENCE B/W THE SOUND QUALITY OF A CASSETTE ADAPTER/FM TRANS.. AND THE AUXILIRARY INPUT CONVERTER....

the auxilary input converter is worth the $$$.... i hated the cassette adapter with a passion...so this was really easy

1. order the correct auxilirary input converter (that corresponds with your car)
2. purchase the stereo cable from Radioshack..
3. follow the directions to install and or bring it to bestbuy... and pay $15
Maroon tiger,

this sounds great--I want to do a similar hookup to my 1995 sony 10 cd changer . what kind of auxiliary input converter do you mean, an fm modulator or what; where did you order if from?
thanks tgower

Maroon_tiger

tgower said:
Maroon tiger,

this sounds great--I want to do a similar hookup to my 1995 sony 10 cd changer . what kind of auxiliary input converter do you mean, an fm modulator or what; where did you order if from?
thanks tgower
on the 1st page of this thread.. click either link that is about the auxiliary input converter.... then select the auxiliary input converter that corresponds to your care make/model......... and then that should be about $60/+ and then order the stereo cord from the radioshack link that was posted and then either install it yourself or have best buy install it

tgower

thanks much maroon-tiger!
Will make a trip to circuit city or bestbuy to discuss installation.
Until I can schedule the optimal solution will go with my itrip.

lamofo

This post led the way for me to get the most amazing sounds in my car. I got the aux input for my 2004 Explorer. I then used the stereo RCA to mini jack to my IPod (make sure it's the stereo RCA to Mini. It has the two black stripes on the mini plug instead of the "mono" one stripe). It sounds amazing. I might get that conector to the line out/cigarette lighter, but I tell ya, it sounds awesome. Makes a 10 disc CD changer seem like a dinosaur compared to driving with thousands of songs on my Ipod. I love it. Oh yeah, the guy at BestBuy connected it for $15.99. They were really cool and stoked to see an Ipod getting installed. They even called over other customers to take a look. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

nddl05

lamofo said:
This post led the way for me to get the most amazing sounds in my car. I got the aux input for my 2004 Explorer. I then used the stereo RCA to mini jack to my IPod (make sure it's the stereo RCA to Mini. It has the two black stripes on the mini plug instead of the "mono" one stripe). It sounds amazing. I might get that conector to the line out/cigarette lighter, but I tell ya, it sounds awesome. Makes a 10 disc CD changer seem like a dinosaur compared to driving with thousands of songs on my Ipod. I love it. Oh yeah, the guy at BestBuy connected it for $15.99. They were really cool and stoked to see an Ipod getting installed. They even called over other customers to take a look. Thanks for the info!
Sounds good. I just was curious as to what made you get the converter as opposed to buying a new cd receiver with an aux input on the front. I'm trying to decide the same thing. I drive an 01 ford focus ZX3 with stock everything...so I don't exactly have the best receiver. Would it be better for me to just spend a few extra bucks over a converter and get myself a better receiver with an input on the front? Though I'm also having trouble finding a relatively low priced receiver with the front input that has gotten good reviews. Just not sure what to do. Thanks in advance for advice anyone can offer...and sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject - I'm doing the best I can! :)

lamofo

I decided to go with the aux out converter as opposed to getting a new system for a couple reasons. First of all, the stock stereo is allready fitted in the dash perfectly and though it is not the greatest, it is pretty damm good. Secondly, a new one would just cost too much when you add the new stereo, installation, etc. The aux converter was $69.00 + $20.00 ( best buy install in 5 minutes ) + $5.00 for the rca to mini jack = $94.00. The other route would be at least $125.00 for a decent stereo + installation ( which would be extra because the stock stereos are much bigger then the newer mp3 ones) + tax , etc. So a good bit cheaper and it is keeping my consul clean and stock. Also, I have used my Ipod in friends car with the tape player, and the direct connect is a million times better. Good luck.

tgower

lamofo--
thanks much for the info, it sounds like just what i need.
tgower

nddl05

Thanks for the response. I'll have to go to best buy or circuit city to make sure I could get the right converter for what I have in my car. I've heard trouble stories about the focus before. Thanks again for the info.

Mcguirefan

Thanks for the instructions on how to install the ipod in my car. I did find that crutchfield has the AInet adaptor and the MBus adaptor for around $15, I think the shipping was around $5. I ordered my ainet cable Fri and it got here today, so I will be completing my installation (minus the car mount) tonight. I can't wait to never have to carry around my whole CD collection on road trips again.:D

Mcguirefan

OK, so I installed the connectors and adaptors, and ran the stereo cable under my center console to the opening on my emergency brake. I use the rubber flap that is covering the extra space created when the brake is up as a hiding spot for the cable when not in use, I just feed the excess cable back in and hide it to deter theft (I've had two brake in's, only the first time did they get anything, but the second time they bent the top of my door back and I had to pay the $250 deductible :mad: ) now with my CD player face and IPOD with me they have nothing to steal. Do any of you think that once I install the Radio Shack car mount, that will encourage theft? It will expose the stereo wire once I do. Helpful hint to deter theft of CD players, the little holes on the side of the players used to screw in the small support screws, there are usually way more holes than you can use to attach the player to the car. However, they can be used to screw razor blades (the rectangular ones with the hole in the middle) into for another guard against theft. Imagine the look on the face of a thief when they rip your console off and reach back to pull your radio out:eek:
PS: TG, I think Crutchfield is in VA so I would imagine very fast shipping to you

Fry-man22

Re: apline cda 7839 won't recognize

pobzilla said:
Thanks for your nice post.

I have an older Alpine cda 7839 headunit in my maxima. I have attached the correct ainet adapter to the back of the stereo, to the radio shack 3' rca converter. I have that wire attached to the SiK auto kit so it connects directly to my 3rd gen ipod.

Anyone have any idea why my car stereo isn't recognizing there's a plug in the back? I hit source and also cd-changer on my remote and it's not changing any mode other than radio and CD.

Please help me figure it out if you have any ideas.
Well, this is probably about a month late in coming, but I had the same problem with my cda-9813. The thing is, the default setting for the auxilary input is off. I guess they don't want all the people who don't use that feature having to scroll through it when switching functions. Anyway, I'm sure by now you've probably figured out how to turn the AUX input on (I never would have figured it out without the manual), but if you have lost you user manual or something, just post back/email me and I'll walk you through how to do it.
[email protected]

pobzilla

Unfortunately I don't see anything in the guide on auxillary for my unit. I think it may be a switch on the bottom of the unit but not sure.

It's probably just too old :(

JazzyMac

Jazzy Smooth
Hey guys--the ones that got their iPods installed at Best Buy/Circuit City--could you post your city? I went to 5-10 Best Buys/Circuit Cities in three states/six cities and they ALL looked at me silly when I asked them about hardwiring the iPod.

They said IT COULDN'T BE DONE--IMPOSSIBLE...

So perhaps if I could just call a different store. I'm still at a loss here.

Thanks!

tgower

Ms Jewelle:
I have not done that yet so have no idea where these could be done.
tgower

MG315

Website
www.ipodincar.net
Ms_Jewelle said:
Hey guys--the ones that got their iPods installed at Best Buy/Circuit City--could you post your city? I went to 5-10 Best Buys/Circuit Cities in three states/six cities and they ALL looked at me silly when I asked them about hardwiring the iPod.

They said IT COULDN'T BE DONE--IMPOSSIBLE...

So perhaps if I could just call a different store. I'm still at a loss here.

Thanks!
I first went to mobile one (where I got my head unit) and asked them what was the best way to do it. They said the only way I could do it was with a FM Transmitter (they obviously don't have much experience in it) or buying a new, expensive head unit with AUX input. But then i read about the FM Modulator on this board and went up to best buy to investigate. I brought the iPod dock and told the guy in the sound department that I heard an FM Modulator could help me connect my iPod to my stereo. He said "yeah, it should work pretty good. All you would need is the fm modulator and an RCA-to-3.5mm cable. I'm sure we can do it." So they did, and it's great. I probably wouldve done the install myself but I'd probably mess something up in the car and they needed to do some custom work. I wanted the dock to be in the ash tray and that required some skills I don't have. The installation itself ended up costing more than all the parts needed, but it was cheaper than buying a new head unit.

just go there with a printout that has an FM Modulator, RCA-to-3.5mm cable, and an iPod dock and tell them to put it all together :)

Last edited: