RE: Audiobook section on IPOD 5G

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

mishima

RE: Audiobook section on IPOD 5G

Hello,

Sorry to include this issue but I'm a new iPod user. I've just purchased the 5G 60GB iPod and i've managed to convert my mp3 audiobooks into m4b file. I've successfully uploaded it into my ipod whereby I can see the particular audiobook file under the "Audiobook" section.

For example, i've converted "Chapter 1" into the "Audiobook" section but how do I create a subfolder under it? I was thinking if there are any possible way if i can create "Story Book A" under the "Audiobook" section and my "Chapter 1" will be under the folder of "Story Book A". Please advise me.

Thank you !

moriond

This was answered in the thread immediately below yours, Help!. Read through the discussion in the last posts there. The only way to have a single entry named Story Book A appear under the Audiobook section is if all tracks are joined into a single track with that name. However, using a smart playlist with your existing chapters is probably a good solution that avoids having to merge into a single large file that you may find more statisfactory. See also this discussion of smart playlists, and read through to the end of the thread for a list of general references.

Another suggestion: use the search function to find answers to some of your questions. You can see from some of the linked responses that there can be much more background information in the discussion threads in this forum that you may find helpful. For example, doing a search on keywords like "maximum size audiobook" and selecting the Books and Spoken Word forum to search in (and I often find it helpful to search by individual post instead of by thread), will save you from finding out that you can't make a single 32-hour merged audiobook file and expect it to work (exact limits for maximum size depend on your importing settings). Good luck.

mishima

Okay Moriond. Thanks for your info. I've tried looking into the forums on Audiobooks but as again, is it a good choice of combining the whole track of audiofile 1-130 chapters into 1 large file?

By the way, does it means that it is the only way that my Audiobooks section could appear as "Story Book A" with the chapters in it IF i combine all the chapters into one?

Thank you ! :)

moriond

mishima said:
Okay Moriond. Thanks for your info. I've tried looking into the forums on Audiobooks but as again, is it a good choice of combining the whole track of audiofile 1-130 chapters into 1 large file?

By the way, does it means that it is the only way that my Audiobooks section could appear as "Story Book A" with the chapters in it IF i combine all the chapters into one?

Thank you ! :)
I wouldn't necessarily choose to merge everything into a single file myself, but that's a personal preference that's described in one of the threads that I've supplied links for above, and also depends on the size of the file. Those links were chosen to show you a range of opinions and discussion of issues related to your question.

If you join all your files into a single file, you will have just one title (Story Book A) appear in the Audiobooks section of your iPod, but you will lose the ability to navigate individual chapters. In addition, there's a maximum single file length that can be played under iTunes (about 13.5 hours if you ripped from audio CDs at standard settings, possibly 27 hours if you used podcast settings, and a different value if you use some other source for your files). Larger files will also decrease the amount of time you can play on a single battery charge, since there will be more disk activity as your iPod swaps this into your cache (64MB for the 5G 60GB model).

If you keep all your individual chapters, you'll have 130 entries for this book under the Audiobook section. Are these "chapters" individual tracks from an audio CD? If so, you can import them joining tracks by CD. Then you will have just 5 or 6 entries (Story Book A-1, Story Book A-2, etc.)

You can either play each book part by selecting it from the Audiobook menu, or you can create a smart playlist named Story Book A, with criteria like Album contains Story Book A and playcount is 0, and play the book by selecting the playlist instead. The playlist will update so that when you examine it, only tracks that you haven't listened to are listed, with your current track shown first (e.g., Story Book A-3). If you want to listen to the book again, change to playcount is 1. Alternatively, you can just create a regular playlist for your book by selecting (highlighting) all the entries and using File -> New playlist from selection and play the book by selecting this playlist. (This doesn't remove tracks from your playlist as you listen to them).

Hope this helps.