Re-adding songs to library (not as ez as it sounds)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

eqblues

Blue since the 70's
Im about to transfer my whole library to an external HD, but I have a question some of you might be able to help me with.

Sometimes, certain albums or certain songs just wont let themselves be added to iTunes. You use the "Add folder" or "Add file" command, and they still wont add. So when I move my library and re-add all the music (Im gonna start a new library from zero, since I dont want to "Consolidate" and have no data I care to keep), Im sure there will be some songs/albums that wont add.

So, the question is: How can I find out what DIDNT get added? In a library with over 20.000 tracks, its gonna be impossible to see what tracks/albums are missing on my own.

In case someone is wondering, there are some tracks that get added fine at first, but if you for some reason, delete them from the library and re-add them, they wont add. So its possible this will happen here easily.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
I'm not sure what would cause a song to load originally into one library but not into another. Are you sure that's what's going on? But if you're afraid that certain songs won't transfer to the new library by adding them, then you might actually be better off using the Consolidate function. I only say that because adding songs may be a different internal function in iTunes than consolidating them to a new location.

As for being able to tell what did and did not transfer, if you're handy with MS Excel and Access you can copy the "before" and "after" library contents into Excel, then use a compare query in Access to look up the two lists in Excel and tell you what's different. Probably too detailed to go into here, so PM me if you want to know how to do that.

{edit} I forgot that I explained how to use Excel and Access once before:
http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?p=972768&highlight=access#post972768

Last edited:

electrozoid

Apple Pie Eater
I have a hunch that very long filenames combined with very deep subfolder levels will reach a limit that iTunes can't deal with. I can't remember exactly but I think this was discussed before on an older post.

eqblues

Blue since the 70's
Thanks for the suggestion "rockmyplimsoul". I will definitely be doing that, since luckily, I do have Access.

What Ive found, is that certain songs that contain other types of tags than only ID tags, have problems being added sometimes. Once I go into mp3tag and remove ALL the tags, and re-add, it works.

My filenames are not too long and I dont have a folder structure thats too deep either, so that may not be it. At least not in my case.