Ratings

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

davebach172

Hi!

I'm brand new to the whole iPod scene - picked one up after drooling over the demo model in the shop! I could rave over it, but that might go on for a while!

I've installed MC9 after playing with MM and finding it awful. Im still a little unsure of the whole playlist thing as opposed to simple album listings - my mp3 collection is a horrible mess of untagged tracks which im now painstakingly sorting out, and playlists used to, for me, be a way of playing a single album - The concept of them existing across gigs of tagged music is brilliant (for me - or will be when my musics tagged properly!). Still, a little reading and I'm getting there.

Anyway - to my point...........

Does MC9 allow the ipod created ratings to be brought back to the host pc? (I have no firewire port at work, so cant play with it here :(

Thanks! - and ipods rule!!!!

Kenny

Super Man
davebach172 said:
Does MC9 allow the ipod created ratings to be brought back to the host pc?
No. The 'ratings' on the iPod is solely for iTunes as for now. But seeing how MC9 is constantly updated, I wouldnt be surprised if this feature was integrated.

naanbread

Apple do not have this feature enabled on windows ipods, so I hear, so you will have to wait for itunes for windows comes out with a firmware update to include this and playcounts. When the new firmware is out MC9 could support it, and they probably will if it is at all feesable.

davebach172

nice one - thanks for the speedy replies.

oh well - little bit annoyed apple hasnt made ratings available across the board, but still loving the ipod itself!

Is the firmware updrage like upgrading an ipaq - whereby you get a software file, and it is uploaded to the ipod making more features available?

Also - what is the play count thing?

(sorry if these are billy basic questions! )

Kenny

Super Man
Yep. Basically you just d/l the updated firmware file from the apple.com website, and then run it on your computer (while the iPod is connected). The rest is pretty much automatic.

As for play count, I believe it just lists which songs have been played the most.

c.c.r.

The J River crew has investigated the new ratings feature in the 2.0 iPod software, but unfortunately, were unable to make it talk to MC at this time. I'm under the impression that this is because Apple has disabled this feature in Windows iPods as well, but I don't know this for sure.

What I am sure of, however, is that as soon as they are able to, J River will incorporate it. You can bet the bank on that one. As soon as Apple turns it on (probably about the time they release iTunes for Windows), Steve from J River will be all over it.

Same goes for playcounts and last-played date too. Soon as Apple turns it on for us, It'll get built into MC9. That's another reason that I reccomend them all the time... they attack our requests with the quickness!

Kenny

Super Man
c.c.r. said:
I'm under the impression that this is because Apple has disabled this feature in Windows iPods as well, but I don't know this for sure.
How can that be though? The iPods are exactly the same with the exception on how the HDD's are formatted.

c.c.r.

Kenny said:
How can that be though? The iPods are exactly the same with the exception on how the HDD's are formatted.
On my 15GB, running 2.0, the "Play Counts" file is 47k. It doesn't ever EVER EVER increase in size.

The firmwares are as different now as they were in 1.2.6 -- they're just both provided on the same CD now, that's all.

davebach172

cool - its all becoming clear now!

so when you buy the ipod, and insert the CD into the pc, does that detect which OS you are running and automatically format it (and disable features!!!!) to the appropriate version?

Like I say, I'm totally new to the iPod world, along with the whole "organising my mp3" thang (used to just rip them with CDex as Track1, 2 etc) - and MC9 seems brilliant - editing tags and getting them from the net works like a charm.

Just one final final question I promise! - not looking for a long answer, but what do people generally regard as the best encoder? - I see MC9 comes with Lame and VBR so I'm happy to use them (I'll rip in AAC when an easy rip program comes along).

Thanks again!

c.c.r.

Correct.

If you put the CD into a Windows machine, the Windows setup program will run. If you put it into a Mac, the Mac setup program will run. Sensible enough, you can't run a Mac program on Windows or vice versa, aye?

So, the Windows setup launches, installs everything, and runs the updater on your iPod, formatting it to FAT32 and installing the Windows version of iPod OS 2.0.

(It's already an HFS+ formatted iPod running the Mac version of iPod OS 2.0 when you take it out of the box, so if you plug it into a Mac, it doesn't need to "re-prepare" it for you)

This process makes it possible for the Windows iPod and the Mac iPod to have different firmware, just as it did in the past. Thus, I am confident that these features are still disabled on my FAT32 WinniePod.

The iPod's hardware has been identical for both formats since day one... Apple just got practical and started putting the both pieces of software in the same box, rather than in separate boxes.

(Of course that means that Mac users now have a CD Key for MusicMatch Jukebox... heh heh heh)

davebach172

Quite clever this Apple lot eh!

Ahhh its 5pm on a friday afternoon - I'm off to the pub to celebrate another end to a week of hard work (consisting mainly of playing with iPods and reading forums!)

Thanks for the explanation c.c.r!

dang it! - broke my promise - I have one last question - MC9 wants to format the ipod, which I'm not concerned about, but was wondering if it is still usable by other applications afterwards (like Ephpod), or does it lock them out?

The reason I'm asking is because I have a small hard disk (10gig free) and wont be able to keep all my music mirrored, so was hoping to use another app to upload more music onto it, and didnt want to lock it out by formatting it with a propriatory file system. thinking about it, i'd guess that MC9 just formats it to get rid of everything so it can make a fresh start, and not change the file sys.

(This will probably mean i cant use other upload apps as MC9 wouldnt know what was on the ipod - guess i'll have to make some hard choices soon!). Sorry - enough rambling - Weekend time - woohoo!!!!!!!

Last edited:

c.c.r.

No troubles, :D

Go ahead and "format" with MC. It's not really a "format" as us computer users are used to... it doesn't really wipe the disk and re-write the file tables. It's more of a "prepare" than a "format" heh. It essentially just deletes the iPod_control folder and recreates it.

After an MC format, you will still be able to use Ephpod. I still do, from time to time. Not often, though, :cool: