random albums to ipod?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

innervision

looking for a way to transfer random (full) albums to my ipod - trying to get some variety. i tried a script but it was designed for itunes 2 and doesn't work. any suggestions/new scripts you can point me to?

eustacescrubb

Website
www.johnpauldavis.org
The script should work in iTunes 4. It takes a good 20 minutes for it to fill up a 5GB iPod.

You could also make a Smart Playlist and drag the files to the iPod.

innervision

i've tried it three times and it comes up with an error message. do i need to copy the script over to the itunes script folder and then run it there from within the program? that'd be an easy solution i hadn't thought of.

tried doing the smart playlist option as well, but it doesn't work because it doesn't add the whole album to the playlist. to work it would require two fields in the 'Limit to' section: 1) Limit to 15GB selected by random 2) Limit to 15GB selected by Album. as it is now you can only have one or the other.

innervision

'iTunes got an error: every track of playlist "iPod Transfer" of source "iPod Transfer" doesn't understand the delete message'

and it highlights this part of the code from the script:
'delete every track of playlist thePod'

Website
dougscripts.com
i've tried it three times and it comes up with an error message. do i need to copy the script over to the itunes script folder and then run it there from within the program? that'd be an easy solution i hadn't thought of.
Were you running this script from Script Editor? Even so, it shouldn't make a difference.

I haven't been able to duplicate the error here, but that is an unusual error to get. I thought at first that if the iPod was not mounted you'd get an error, but actually you'd see a different error first (at the capacity line).

innervision: by any chance are you running a non-English system? It's a long-shot...:confused:

Speaking of which, I notice that in that script the main library is referenced as "Library". I would recommend referring to the main library as library playlist 1 so non-English systems won't get an error.

innervision

thanks for the reply/suggestion, but i'm completely English. don't worry too much about this i suppose. i'll just have to choose things manually. :)

juniorop

Sorry two more things about my setup:
I am on an english system
I have a copy of os x installed on my ipod (dont know if that would matter at all)
hope this info helps duplicate the error,
JO

eustacescrubb

Website
www.johnpauldavis.org
juniorop, if your iPod is set to automatically update, it won't work. That's because iTunes doesn't give AppleScript control over copying/deleting when the iPod is set to be automatically updated.

innervision, is this the case with you? Is your iPod set to be automatically updated as well?

Last edited:

juniorop

thanks that seems to have done the trick... and probably the same issue our friend innervision is having.
Also, I did do a search the forum for 20 min and just completely missed this thread and, as you can plainly see, i have already apologized for the double post. people can make mistakes ;)
I am also altering one of your scripts so that i can clean ipod, upload seleted playlists, then random songs till full in one script... i will upload it when it is done.
thanks again,
JO