• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

R.I.P. iPod Box....

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Japester

New Box is Quite Okay

The box has changed but I don't think it's any cheaper. It's just different. They've flattened the Mini (Nano) and now the iPod, so why not the box as well? It's still beautifully designed.

CVD

The old one was alright, but the new one seems to have more class about it, which is exactly what an iPod should be, classy.

jedk

whymillywhy said:
errr, full sized iPod Cubes didn't stop with the video, my photo came in a smaller box, so they started with 2nd gen photos

At least we got the iPod box opening experience
Not including the iPod shuffle box, I believe it was the 2nd Generation iPod mini when Apple first switched from cube to non-cube boxes for some of it's iPod lineup, although I may be wrong...

gnagel

The Zook Era Begins
screw economical i just spent 300$ i want 300$ worth of packaging and ipod
Using the old box, the price would have increased from $300 to $305.

I'm more concerned with what's inside the box.

~tl

Although, in the end, it doesn't really matter that much, having nice packaging sure adds to the experience of any product. The new iPod boxes aren't as fancy and cool as the old ones, but they are still classy and represent the iPods well.

TOM

Maxman

Don't Call Me Fat, Jon...
I loved opening my cubic box. It was plain and simple... an amzing experience. Not just pulling some stuff out of a box. I want cubic packaging back!

I still have mine, and it's not in my closet. It just looks so darn cool! (even though it doesn't have the silhouette dancers on it)

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
The box has changed but I don't think it's any cheaper. It's just different. They've flattened the Mini (Nano) and now the iPod, so why not the box as well? It's still beautifully designed.
Welcome to iL.

This topic is being discussed here.

Merged - tomlevens

Last edited by a moderator:

Larathydo

Personally,

I miss the old boxes. The box my 3rd generation came in opened (like you all say) like oragami. For some stange reason I will never understand, i REALLY loved the fact that before you were about to open the flaps to reveal the iPod, the flap concealing would simply say "enjoy". I really liked the attention to detail :)

Yeah, it's sad to see it go. But look on the bright side folks, at least we dont have the boxes covered with the silhouettes plastered everywhere. I like the traditional look of the iPod box better (more in tune with the 3G box). I don't mind the silhouette commercials, but i think they belong on TV ads - not the Packaging.

IlIlIlIlIl

the fact that Apple took out so many accessories, it only makes sense to make the box smaller. it doesn't even include a charger these days so a big cube to put a razor-thin iPod, some CDs and a wire in simply doesn't make sense.

jitaroo

5G is Fine
they could fill the extra space with buble wrape fo rpoping bubbles..err i mean saftey ;)

Zap

Mac Zealot
it cuts down on cost, makes it easyier to ship, help the enviorment so it not that nog of a deal(im sure they could have made a small cube)

blick2000

Mini Killer (beware)
I know that with my 3rd gen box it certainly contained a lot of styrofoam which is horrible for the enviroment. Now with the new boxes theres less empty space to fill, so styrofoam isnt necessary. I think such a trend setting company like apple should be praised for setting an example by toning down its packaging and making it out of more enviromentally friendly materials.

moppie2005

Can someone please post photos of the cubic packaging? I want to see what I was missing out. Thanks!

jamontoast

i also miss the sube.

i have a 1G ipod and the box stil in rime condition.

i loved the box ands till do. mine didn't have a lot of styrofoam and people who say the boxes aren't environmentaly friendly, honestly what is environmentally friendly? not much. so why sacrafice a cool box, for a not cool slight more environmentaly friendly one.

and the cost to make the ipods is only like over 150, so even if the cube box costs more they still make a big enough profit.

Macromedia

Well as some people have pointed out that the small packaging is less harmful to the enviroment. I like the box of the 2g minis. The colour coded box that match the colour of the ipod on the inside is cool. I nearly droped the ipod when I opened the packaging because I held it at an angle.

Interpol

Smaller size = less raw materials used = more environmentally friendly. Multiply that by the number of iPods sold. That's not an insignificant number.

Personally, I'm glad the boxes are smaller and produce less waste. Remember when CDs used to come in those god-awful cardboard longboxes? Talk about a real waste of trees.