• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Quicktime doesn't play AVI's?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Edalgo

Hey guys I know this may not sound like it has anything to do with the new iPod but please bare with me.

I want to use Quicktime Pro so I can convert all of my AVI's to an iPod compatible format via "export movie to ipod" but whenever I load an AVI it shows a white screen and then stops responding (so I have to end task). Am I wrong to assume that quicktime can handle AVI's? My only other option would be to use Discreet Cleaner to convert my movies to ipod compatibility but that's even more money.

Thanks for your help.

-Edalgo

ragingSPAM

is there a way to get those avi's to work on the ipod...cuz i dunno if u can update firm ware to work with divx avi's

Edalgo

Hey thanks a lot Blick, I'll check out that link. I'd be interested in that tutorial when you're done :)

Edit: Hey it does work for windows after all!

-Edalgo

Last edited:

Edalgo

So I installed 3ivx and now it plays the movies with awesome qualit but there's no sound :(

It's times like these I wish I had a mac.

-Edalgo

aloof

Edalgo said:
So I installed 3ivx and now it plays the movies with awesome qualit but there's no sound :(

It's times like these I wish I had a mac.

-Edalgo
Quicktime can't play vbr mp3s which is the most likely case for your movies. Either convert the movie's audio or forget quicktime.

Edalgo

Any tips on how to do that? *sigh* there HAS to be a way for me to get all of my avi's into quicktime so I can export them to ipod. Hopefully before it ships. I've looked into getting discreet cleaner but that costs more than my ipod and quicktime pro put together ($500+).

-Edalgo

aloof

Edalgo said:
Any tips on how to do that? *sigh* there HAS to be a way for me to get all of my avi's into quicktime so I can export them to ipod. Hopefully before it ships. I've looked into getting discreet cleaner but that costs more than my ipod and quicktime pro put together ($500+).

-Edalgo
Psp Video 9 should work , unfortunately there's no real compatability test until one tests it on an ipod. Cnet posted a somewhat decent how-to a while ago for the program http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11261_7-6242725-1.html?tag=tnav

Edalgo

Thanks Aloof, that looks like it might do the job. All it needs to do is convert what Ive got into a format that quicktime can recognize. After that it should just be a matter of using quicktime's "export movie to ipod" function.

-Edalgo

mgmg

Website
www.thequietworld.com
When I tried 3ivx, the audio didn't work aswell. *sigh*

When you can import a .avi into PSPVideo9, it exports it as a .mp4, right? Can Quicktime read this?

Also, if your video is widescreen, when it's converted to something the iPod can read, will it be stretched to fit the screen?

Last edited: