• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Quick tech question re: DVD region coding. Help needed.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

GadgetGuru72

Hi everyone-

My wife and I are planning a trip to France this summer, and she wants to bring some of her Yoga DVDs with her. A couple of the DVDs say "All" in the Region field, which leads me to conclude they would work in France. However, underneath the "All" icon, it also says "NTSC." Will this still work in France, despite the fact that it says NTSC, or does it need to be PAL?

Does anybody know for sure?

Thanks in advance.

-GG

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Yer correct. Region ALL allows playback on any player.

However, NTSC means the player/TV GOTTO be NTSC capable.

So, in France, the DVD player/TV has got to be one of those Universal kind.

However, u should be able to play those in laptop just fine. PC-based players are software controlled, adjust themselves and not constrained.

Quick google tells me France uses SECAM.

If yer the GURU, shouldn't u know these things? :D

GadgetGuru72

Guess I'm not the InternationalGadgetGuru, just the DomesticGadgetGuru. ;)

Anyway, I'm not sure if the place we're renting in France will have a "universal" TV. So, you're saying that it might not play, right?

So, maybe I need to somehow convert to SECAM in advance of the trip.

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
I have some US region DVDs which will play on my DVD player, the only 'hack' being to over ride the region lock on the player.
Quite a few DVD players will play either system - I guess it will be a chance you take if the one at your rental is one of them!

Why not load them onto your iPod?

That was gonna be my suggestion. Convert them for the iPod then you won't have any problems playing them. Just remember to pack your A/V cable & charger.

GadgetGuru72

What bitrate would I have to encode at to make the videos look "decent" on a TV? It's just yoga, so the image doesn't have to be perfect, just decent enough to watch.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Depends on codec. On my DVCR it's 3000 kbps and I can't tell whether original cable or recorded, go down from there for space constrains.