Quick Question About Switching

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

QTran77

I have a PC and my iPod is set up be manually updated on it. If I get a new iBook or any Mac system, and plug in my iPod, will all my songs be deleted or will it still be manual even though it's the first time?
OK, sorry this is turning into a long post but I read somewhere that if you are bringing your iPod to a new system, you have to hold down alt-something to prevent it from automatically updating the first time. Should I disregard this?

If I make no sense, I'm really sorry.

ipodphoto30

i think that it will get erased, i use windows on my ipod. and if you switch it to mac you're gonna have to restore it meaning clear it out, and all. so it will get erased.

QTran77

WOw

Wow that really sucks. Do you have any suggestions as how I can save my music?

ddaro

Website
www.clipsboom.com
I don't think they will get erased, if I remember correctly the 'manual update' setting is tied to the iPod and not to iTunes. It is set via iTunes but stored on the iPod.

I went through the same thing but I can't recall exactly what I did. I seem to think I just plugged in my iPod and it all just worked.

Website
www.ilounge.com
ddaro is correct. The "Manual" setting is tied to the iPod itself, not to iTunes. Further, Mac OS X can work with a Windows-formatted iPod, so when going in that direction you should be just fine.

In fact, I recently made a similar transition in moving my music library over to a new Mac Mini. I had no problems at all connecting the iPod to the Mac. Getting the music onto the Mac was a bit trickier, as I wanted to preserve my metadata in the iTunes library, but because the file paths are different on a Mac, I couldn't copy the whole thing. In the end, I just gave up and reimported the library and then used iPodRip to transfer the metadata back off the iPod itself (ratings/playcounts/playlists/etc).