Questions about upgrading from a 4G to a 5G…

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MoonlitShadow

I have a 2 year old 4G 30 GB now, and will most likely be getting a 5.5G 80 GB by Christmas. I realize these will probably sound like stupid questions to most of you here, but I need to clear a few things up before I actually have and start to use the 5.5G. So, here goes…

First, and probably simplest question… Can I use the AC Power adapter I already have for my 4G with a new 5.5G? I’m guessing I should be able to do that, but I just wanted to be sure to prevent possibly screwing anything up. I know that not everyone charges their iPod this way, but I tend to use it often when I’m not near my home computer and iTunes and my iPod needs a charge. If I have to buy a new AC adapter for the new iPod I will but need to know beforehand.

Next question is again something I believe I should be able to do, but I think I should be sure about before using the new iPod. Will I be able to sync my new iPod to the same iTunes library I now have set up for my current iPod? I’ll probably want to use both iPods for a while (at least until my 30 GB is entirely full which will be soon) and sort of switch back and forth depending on whether I’ve just added video or some new music. I’d definitely be keeping it all in the same library on the same computer though.

This brings me to my last (for now :D) question. When I connect the new iPod to the computer for the first time (after it has the first full charge of course), will iTunes automatically recognize and format it properly, even though my iTunes is now linked to another iPod (my current 4G) only? I’m a bit concerned that there will be some kind of problem or issue when I sync the new iPod to my library for the first time as it is now set to sync and update the 4G only, which I think has different firmware.

Any and all answers to these questions will be greatly appreciated as I should have the new iPod very soon. Thanks in advance.:)

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
MoonlitShadow said:
First, and probably simplest question… Can I use the AC Power adapter I already have for my 4G with a new 5.5G?
Yes, all of the power adapters across all models of iPod are compatible. They will provide either USB voltage or FireWire voltage for charging, but for the 5G it doesn't really matter which one, as it will charge from either. The charger essentially provides the same power your computer's USB or FireWire port would.

Next question is again something I believe I should be able to do, but I think I should be sure about before using the new iPod. Will I be able to sync my new iPod to the same iTunes library I now have set up for my current iPod?
The short answer is yes. Each iPod is treated independently as far as iTunes is concerned, so when you connect your new iPod, iTunes will see it as a new iPod and take you through the setup wizard. Any sync settings you specify in iTunes for the new iPod will apply only to that particular iPod.

You can sync different playlists to each one if you desire, or use one in manual mode and the other in automatic mode. In the iTunes settings for the iPod, you will only see the tabs relevant for that iPod (so your 4G won't show tabs for things like "Movies" or "TV Shows", while your 5G will).

When I connect the new iPod to the computer for the first time (after it has the first full charge of course), will iTunes automatically recognize and format it properly, even though my iTunes is now linked to another iPod (my current 4G) only?
Firstly, you don't need to wait for the iPod to be fully charged before connecting it. Your computer (provided your USB port is powered) will charge and power the iPod while it's connected, so there's really no reason to charge it first and/or wait to connect it.

Secondly, as per above, iTunes will recognize each iPod separately. You can even have both your 4G and 5G connected at the same time, and iTunes will sync them both independently and simultaneously. It will recognize which one is which, and apply the appropriate firmware updates for whichever model you are working with at the time. They will even both show up in the iTunes source pane.

The bottom line is that iTunes is designed to handle multiple iPod simultaneously. I've had as many as 8 connected at once through a USB hub, and iTunes happily listed each one separately, provide it's own sync settings, and selected the appropriate firmware versions to update each one.

So the short answer to all of the above is to just plug it in when you get it and you should be good to go. :)

MoonlitShadow

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions!

Firstly, you don't need to wait for the iPod to be fully charged before connecting it. Your computer (provided your USB port is powered) will charge and power the iPod while it's connected, so there's really no reason to charge it first and/or wait to connect it.
I thought it would be best to give it one full charge before attempting to load it with all the music and podcasts I have. Giving it a full charge was something I remember mentioned in the instructions of the 4G. I'm glad to know it's not necessary to do that anymore. If I'm understanding this correctly, you're saying a full charge is not needed since it's getting charged (though not for the full amount of time as it shouldn't take 4-5 hrs to load everything on there) via USB for a long enough while as it is loading your iPod simultaneously, right? So, I should just wait until the first time the battery is drained (or nearly drained) to give it the first full charge, right?

Secondly, as per above, iTunes will recognize each iPod separately. You can even have both your 4G and 5G connected at the same time, and iTunes will sync them both independently and simultaneously. It will recognize which one is which, and apply the appropriate firmware updates for whichever model you are working with at the time. They will even both show up in the iTunes source pane.

The bottom line is that iTunes is designed to handle multiple iPod simultaneously. I've had as many as 8 connected at once through a USB hub, and iTunes happily listed each one separately, provide it's own sync settings, and selected the appropriate firmware versions to update each one.
I'm not sure I would ever connect them both simultaneously, but I'm glad that this also should be able to be done without a problem. However, I'm just not sure I could do this safely with iTunes 7 and here's why:

When I updated to iTunes 7 and then connected my current iPod, iTunes froze as soon as it started to open and update my iPod. Within 1-2 minutes Windows had entirely frozen as well making it impossible to add/delete anything from my iPod for a while. For weeks I was driving myself crazy trying to figure out the source of the problem. I thought it must be something on my PC that was causing this since I never had a problem with iTunes or my iPod after nearly 2 years of using them. However, I was completely clueless for a while as far as what it could be, because my PC is virus and spyware free and more than capable of handling iTunes. I should probably mention that I'm running a Pentium D, 1 GB RAM, Win XP Media Center PC.

Long story short, that was only until someone asked me what else I had connected via USB to my computer while trying to update my iPod. I had a USB HDD that I left connected to another USB port while trying to update my iPod and basically at all other times as well. I started to think that had to be the source of the problem, and when I came here and saw the post about iTunes 7 freezing during sync when using an external HDD I disconnected it right away. Sure enough, once I disconnected the external drive, reset the iPod (just as an extra precaution), and then connected it to computer everything finally synced without a problem once again. Now I've switched to a USB and Firewire external HDD, and as long as I always connect the drive using FireWire I can run iTunes/update my iPod without any freezing. My point is, that if I have two USB external HDDs (or in this case 1 external HDD and an iPod -- since the iPod is essentially another HDD aside from being a media player) connected at the same time, then apparently iTunes 7 has a conflict with Windows causing it to lock up completely. I'm sure you know this already...In fact, if I remember correctly, I think you might've even been the one to originally point that out and make the post about iTunes freezing during sync with an external HDD.

So, unfortunately I don't think I could ever sync both iPods simultaneously -- unless Apple comes up with a software/firmware update for iTunes 7 or the iPod itself to resolve that issue. I didn't have that problem with iTunes 6 or any version prior to that, so I know there must be a way to resolve this conflict eventually. I'm a bit curious about your opinion on this though. Thanks again. :) I really appreciate your help.