Questions about transfers, music & tagging

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

bdb

On the B side of life
I'm an ilounger from many, many years back but I haven't used iOS in several years. These new iPhones look really nice, and I love what I've seen from the cameras.

So I've come back to the iLounge to ask a few honest questions of people familiar with newer iPhones. I'm using Windows (no Mac).

1. I want to copy music onto my phone (preferably over the wireless network), and if the tags aren't right just fix them on the phone. Can iPhones do this now?

2. It sounds like the supported music and video formats are still the same? Can third-party apps play different formats?

3. Is iTunes as bloated as it was a few years ago? I tried programs other than iTunes a few years back but they weren't very flexible or reliable. Is this still the case?

4. Is special software still required to copy files off of the iPhone?

I really haven't kept up with iPhones so advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
-old iLounger

cjmnews

Staff member
1. Yes and no, you can sync wirelessly (iTunes has to be running on awake PC) but you can't edit song information on the iPhone.

2. The supported formats are the same. There are many 3rd party players (usually tied to a download service) that can play the same formats, and claim to be better. They might be able to play other formats as well, but they seem to be built around mp3. Some have file management built in. You'd have to experiment to see if alternate formats are supported.

3. Yes. Though they have been optimizing the last few releases to reduce memory and CPU usage. There are still alternatives, but based on some of the questions we see here, they are not perfect.

4. Yes and No. If an app supports the file management through iTunes, you can get files off the phone that way (click on App in iTunes, see files associated with it, click on file, click on Save AS). If they do not support this, then you need special software or a jailbreak to get that software. The iOS 8 jailbreak is apparently unstable at the moment, and is causing issues with stability.