Questions about charging...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

destined_wind

Website
www.destinedwind.freeweb-hosting.com
Ok, here is my question... I know that when my gen 3 ipod finishes charging the charging animation goes away, does that also implies that the ipod is no longer taking in any power? So, will it continue to charge endlessly on loop if I leave in the cradle overnight, or will it automatically stop taking in power once it finishes? Since I have heard that if a device that uses rechargable batteries should not be charged when it is full on juice and that charging a battery when it is full will shorten life-span of the battery, is there any truth in this?

ashawley

Website
www.
If you haven't already, check out the battery FAQ.

Also, a search would have resulted in a number of hits as this has been discussed a lot.

But to answer your question: the battery automatically stops accepting a charge when full. It's fine to leave it in overnight.

Adam

BluEL

charging

Here's the weird thing....

I have the iPod completely charged. The battery icon is solid. I take it out for like 20 seconds, use the buttons for a bit and plug it back in. The charging icon animation starts and the whole charging process begins again.....another 3 hours to fully charge it. Does that sound normal to anyone?

ironchef9000

ipod charges for, what, 3 or 4 hours, regardless of how filled the battery is, when plugged in to a charging source.

However, it is full, it just says its charging, or something like that.

ashawley

Website
www.
Yeah, the basic theory behind how the battery charging indicator works is that it's just a timer that flashes for 3-4 hours. It's not really monitoring the fullness of the battery. Since lithium batteries automatically stop accepting a charge when full, there's no need to "measure" it's empty-ness.

Adam

vkeks05

Meh
Yes, the charging indicator on the iPod may just be a "timer" that starts and stops at 4 hours or such. Not very indicative of any actual charging.