Question on iTunes 10.4.1 Downloading

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
when I tried to download version 10.4.1 my iTunes takes me to the Apple - iTunes - Download iTunes Now website and they ask me for my e-mail address rather than downloading directly from my current versino of iTunes (v10.1). Did Apple change their downloading method? Thanks

cjmnews

Staff member
That is the proper page. You can just click the download button and get it. Don't give them an email address unless you want to.

The reason for the difference is the application that detected the upgrade.
If it was the Apple Software Update application you get the web page that you saw.
If it was iTunes, then it downloads it directly.

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
That is the proper page. You can just click the download button and get it. Don't give them an email address unless you want to.

The reason for the difference is the application that detected the upgrade.
If it was the Apple Software Update application you get the web page that you saw.
If it was iTunes, then it downloads it directly.
Thanks - So if it's an Apple Software Update do I need it if I run on a Windows machine?

cjmnews

Staff member
Apple Software update is an application that is installed with iTunes and Quicktime to help keep them up to date. I know this is installed and runs on Windows machines, I expect there is something similar on Macs too. It gets run automatically, weekly I think. If there is an update a popup shows you what is available and you can select iTunes, Safari, Mobile Me, etc.

Either way, iTunes update or Apple Software update, you'll get the same version of iTunes.

Just install the new version if you want to.

Sparkee

Mac's have Software Update... that looks after the OS as well as other Apple software updates. I suspect all software updates will eventually happen through the computers App Store (not the iTunes App Store) which other purchased Apple software and third party programs are managed.

However there is no automatic notification unless you are running an Admin account, limited users must look for the up dates and authorize them with the admin's password. A pain in the a**, but a little safer.