• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Question about USB ports, pin drives and video types

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

DR0570

I have 15 pin drives full of videos and music. most videos are MP4 but some are MKV. I thought that nowadays that most devices like SmartTVs and blu Ray players will play all video types including MP4s and MKVs. But while I was visiting my sister in California the MP4 vids will work but not MKVs. And now I’m to,d most devices are even getting rid of USB ports because everything will be streamable or downloadable straight to your device. I would like to keep my pin drives and my vids on them.
please tell me that most devices will play MP4s AND MKVs. This is important to me. I still plan to get an LG SmartTV when I move back to Texas.

cjmnews

Staff member
MKV is not a widely supported Codec. You are better off using H.264 (MP4) for the best compatibility.

Looking at the LG smart TV video format page, MKV is not supported.

DR0570

The LG tv i watch in Mexico supports MKVs. Why not now? This is making things hard for me. Why are they doing this? Whatever happened to the customers always right. Whenever they do this I actually feel my rights are being violate! Sorry fir the rant.

cjmnews

Staff member
MKV was a decent codec and was originally supported as a license free format, that allowed for lots of features, unfortunately it is not an industry standard, so it is not supported on newer hardware as they implement the standard formats for the industry.

Supporting more formats costs more money, so they eliminate the non-standard formats to save money, bringing the cost of the hardware down.

DR0570

Won’t anything play an MKV anymore? I suppose I can convert them back to MP4s I still have the software backed up on a pin drive. The on,y reason I converted some of those videos to MKV was the blu Ray player I was using at the time played them better on its USB port played them better meaning on a regular MP4 video if you stop in the middle of it you have to reset the whole thing by turning the power off then on again. MKV wouldn’t do that it would remember where you left and it even divided the video parts into ”chapters”. I have 3 pin drives worth of MKVs now that I will probely have to convert them again back to MP4s. 😩

DR0570

Plus I was told by the Panasonic message board (the blu Ray brand) it’s easier on the firmware because it had a divx feature on it Which uses MKV videos It is a Mexican blu ray player.
but now that we’re moving and getting all new stuff now I find out the MKV is obsolete.
Back to square one again all because people can’t leave things alone!

cjmnews

Staff member
Somethings will support MKV, I would expect things like disc players to do that. But it is up to the manufacturer and what they want to support. The standards will take priority and MKV is not a standard.

DR0570

In my house in Mexico there’s an LG blu ray bought in Texas, 2008 that will only play MP4s connected to an LG smart TV bought in Mexico, 2015 that will play all video formats including MKVs.
the Panasonic Blu Ray I have in my room in Mexico with the weak firmware I described to you plays MKVs also.

DR0570

OK..😄👍🏻😎😎 I managed to convert all my MKVs to MP4s. I lost just a few vids but none I can’t get on blu Ray.