Question about manual/auto syncing

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

skruggie

My ipod is very close to hitting maximium capacity, and I'm going to have to start being more selective about which music I carry with me.

My q uestion is - i f I use manual to load specific playlists into my ipod until I fill it up, but pick ratings and move things around on the ipod during the day, can I switch itunes to autosync when I get home and have the new ratings transfer back to itunes?

I would basically be constantly switching between manual and auto - does anyone know if this has any affect in regards to transferring playcounts, last played and ratings? Most of my playlists are dependent on these factors, so if this is something that would get screwed up I'll have to think of a different system to rotate my music around. I don't want to work off of a master playlist as that would disable smart updating on the ipod.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Unfortunately, you'll probably find that changing between manual and automatic synchronization will be more trouble than it's worth. Every time you change to automatic sync, it will reload the iPod with all of the music in your library.

In Manual mode, your playcounts, ratings, etc., will not transfer back to iTunes.

My suggestion would be to use "semi-auto" sync.... Set iTunes to synchronize selected playlists only. This gives you the best of both worlds, since you can control how much gets synchronized by selecting certain playlists (or all of them if you like), but you still have all of the benefits of automatic synchronization.

The "Selected Playlists" option allows you to select as many playlists as you like to sync, including Smart Playlists. If you're only getting slightly over your iPod's capacity, this is probably the best choice, since you could just select every playlist in your iTunes library, which would just leave out those songs that aren't in any playlists.

Plus, with Smart Playlists, your music content would dynamically change when you re-synced based on the Smart Playlist criteria. So, for example, you could have a Smart Playlist that selects high-rated tracks you haven't listened to in more than two weeks.... When you had listened to a track from that playlist, it would be removed on the next sync (unless it appears in another playlist), and the Smart playlist would be updated with new tracks meeting that criteria.