Question about Mac laptops (and MP4s ripped from DVDs)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Status
Not open for further replies.

DR0570

As I might’ve mentioned I hope someday I’ll return to the states from Mexico so I’m trying to downsize, one want is I ripped alot of my DVDs on MP4 digital format and put them on a pin drive. The problem is the aspect ratio is wrong for the screen whenever I p,ay on my computer with a VLC player or on an LG the movie does not fill the screen. It looks like a small screen inside a little screen. I’m wondering does a Mac do that?8338 See? It does not fill the whole screen.. why? I really hope a Mac does not do this.

cjmnews

Staff member
A Mac will not fix this.

There are a few things preventing this from working the way you want:
  1. DVDs are 480p, meaning they are 720x480 pixels, which isn't even high definition. So there are not enough pixels to natively fill the screen of modern monitors. TVs and DVD players get around this through upscaling where pixels are doubled or quadrupled to get the picture closer to the native screen resolution.
  2. Ripping is getting the video at the 480p size, and this is fixed. Some paid software may have the ability to upscale it to 720p, but this will still not fill the screen.
  3. Playback software tends to play the video at the resolution it was recorded (480p) so that will not fill an HD screen and put the letter boxing around it as you see. You can usually force the player to stretch the video out in the options. Try looking at the Video menu for an Aspect Ratio setting, maybe 16:9 will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.