Question about iTunes Photo functionality and Anapod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

slai79

Hello all,

I've recently ordered a 30 GB Photo (yay!) and I'm really interested in the album art feature. Anapod looks like a great alternative/companion to iTunes, so I was wondering:

Is it possible to use Anapod Explorer for managing my music, etc. and then iTunes for JUST assigning album art and doing photos?

Thanks! :D

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
Sort of...

For the album artwork to be displayed on the iPod photo, the songs must be transferred to the iPod using iTunes. Basically, iTunes converts the album artwork from within the MP3/AAC file into it's own format, and stores it in a proprietary database on the iPod. At this point, iTunes is the only application that does this (although I would hope that with the iPod photo line becoming the mainstream iPod line, companies like Red Chair might step up their efforts to support this feature).

So you could set iTunes to "Manually Manage your Songs and Playlists" but you will still have to initially transfer the songs onto the iPod through iTunes. Once the songs are on the iPod, you could manage them through Anapod in terms of adding them to playlists or updating track information. Theoretically, this shouldn't be a problem, although there's always a risk that updating tracks through Anapod might cause them to lose their link to the album artwork entry in the iPod's database (I think this link is based on a unique track ID, which Anapod shouldn't change, but I haven't tested it).

The good news is that managing photos can be done through iTunes, and Anapod won't interfere with the photo library in any way. The photo management is essentially a completely separate process from the music management.

slai79

Jesse,

Thanks a lot for the reply - very informative! According to the Red Chair website, they are planning to implement the Photo functionality into Anapod, though there is no listed timeframe for that.

From what I have read, iTunes and AE can co-exist as long as both are not running simultaneously - so I will just have to experiment with the album art functionality when the iPod arrives.