Question about Apple desktops

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

DR0570

Is there an Apple desktop that has a Blu-ray/DVD drive with a CD ripper and has a keyboard and mouse that you can connect to a smartTV via HDMI?

cjmnews

Staff member
Searching on that would tell you that you can get an Apple iMac or Mac Mini. You can buy an external BluRay player, and software. The Music app (like iTunes on Windows) is a CD ripper, and you can get an adapter from Thunderbolt to HDMI for the iMac, the Mac Mini has a port.

The cost of these are quite high. You can get decent Windows laptop with a screen and keyboard for the cost of the Mac Mini which doesn't have any peripherals (screen, mouse, or keyboard) included, and a couple decent Windows laptops for the cost of the iMac. You can consider a Macbook Pro, costs as much as 3 Windows laptops.

DR0570

😮 sounds expensive. I was trying to think about what my set up would be when I finaly move back to the states. Basically just an LG smart TV with a Blu-ray/DVD player and a Mac laptop connected to the HDML of the TV with an an external disc drive for CD ripping. But I do not want to end up having just one blu ray player and 2 DVD players (because DVD players are automatically part of the external disc drive). I know that sounds a bit too anal But maybe if there is an external disc drive for a Mac that will play Blu rays, DVDs and CDs and rip CDs. That would be perfect.

cjmnews

Staff member
In general, drives at a higher technology level like BluRay can perform tasks at lower levels like DVD and CD............

DR0570

another question... and this might be a dumb question but... can a Mac Computer play MP4 and MOV video files. i know that a MOV file is specificly for apple because its the only type that can play in itunes but what about a MP4 i guess youd have to download a VLC player for those% because i found some videos on old data CDs some MOV files i like to keep. if i get a Mac. can i put them on a mac with ITunes. and the other video files i have MP4 format on a pen drive. i wont put those on a mac ill just play them from my pen drive withe USB port. use the pen drives on my Mac on my new LGTV.... whenever i get back to the states.

cjmnews

Staff member
These are all answers you can find with simple searches.

Mac has the Quicktime Player built in, and it plays MP4 with MPEG-2, MPEG-4 or H.264 codecs. If there is a different codec used, then VLC and other players are available.

DR0570

I’m trying to find on Amazon Apple desktop computer 200 GB 2 USB ports In the search Area but Amazon can not understand because it will not pull it up.

DR0570

Ok, I read they have 256 GB with I think 2 USB ports. But the ones I saw was over 1000$ I’m afraid when we return to the US, our budget is not going to agree...😢😢😢 (or I should say mine because I particularly want to live by myself or a group home but that’s irrelevan but then again it should effect my own budget somewhat)

DR0570

The thing is all I want to be able to do on it is store all my music (because I plan to get an iPod too) which is approximately 50GB. But only play my videos via USB drive.