Purchased 160GB iPod - Foolish Purchase?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

musichound

Hello all,
Tonight I went into Circuit City, and on an impulse, I purchased the 160GB Classic. I was using an iPod 80GB with about 55GB free, and had absolutely no problems with it. The reason why I purchased the Classic is because of the much longer battery life, and just the idea of holding 160GB in my hand. If only the TOuch has a higher capacity, I would have went along with that one instead.

I only listen to music several hours a day and I will never full up the space, but just the idea of having this capacity is what drove me to purchase it. Besides, I also have the ego that I must have the best of a product, and burns me if there are people walking around with newer equipment than what I have.

So I am asking the lot of you, am I the only one who made an impulse purchase before, or are there any others of you out there? ALso, is it as foolish of decision as what I think it is?

paranoidxe

Nope you aren't the only one..in fact I bought into the hype of the 160GB classic and purchased one 3 weeks after they were released..

I've since took it back and haven't returned because of the bugs..HOWEVER I think most of the issues I was having have been ironed out. (slow syncs, album art not loading, playcount/ratings forgotten when playing games, laggy iTunes)

I now own a 16GB iPod Touch (christmas present)..and really it hasn't been treating me very well either and as of writing I still find myself going back to the previous generation of iPods (2G Nano/5G Video).

joker0153

trust me, you'll need it, I was also saying to myself that I can't fill up 30GB of my old iPod, but when it was full, I am wanting more and more space.

musichound

Thank you for your responses. I am contemplating on weather to keep it or get a refund. It's a great player, and the 1.03 firmware took care of most of the bugs that hampered the Classic. It also feels good to see all that disk space I have available. :)

Website
www.ilounge.com
Yes, the iPod classic is much more stable as of v1.0.3, and the new v1.1 doesn't seem too bad either, although you technically only need v1.1 if you're going to play video rentals on your iPod.

As for the storage space, consider that three years ago I thought a 40GB iPod photo was more than ample for my music collection, which was only 20GB at the time. Now I've got a 160GB iPod filled to capacity -- although to be fair about half of that is video content.

anypats

Depending on what kind of headphones you use and how picky you are about how your music sounds one thing that you could do is all of your music that you own on CD you could re-rip using the Apple Lossless format so that you don't have to worry about the compression. Also, like jhollington mentioned, you can start putting quite a bit of video on it and fill up that space real quick.

KG GT500

I was thinking in that mind-set when I asked for my 80GB Classic for Christmas. I was thinking that I would never fill 160GB, much less 80GB. It's now close to the end of January and I have 52GB free still. It's shrinking though as I watch good movies, because I must have them.

Of the 22GB or so of my music collection, only 4GB of it is music. Just to show the impact the video has on storage capacity.

I'm sure you'll be able to fill the 160GB in no time though. HaHa. Also, with 1.0.3 the Classic runs pretty smooth. I've only had a few hicups, but nothing a quick reset didn't handle.

kyussmondo

I brought the 80GB Video on impulse. Although, now my main music device is my iPhone. 8GB is sufficient for daily use, plus I don't want to carry both around. I only use my 80GB one when I go away somewhere for a long time. 160GB seems a bit overkill for me.

You're not the only one though. Apple is good at getting people to by stuff on impulse, hence my iMac, MacBook, iPod and iPhone!

iPr0n

Not foolish.

I bought the iPod to also use as an external USB drive for transferring files from friend's laptops over supper in restaurants. Or to quickly show people a list of current DLP projectors & prices, some still picture of a classic car, or a list TV series we're interested in (using Notes). Or a funny YouTube video. Yes I realize some of those functions are better served with a PDA but this works in a pinch and it's "thrown in".

Staszek

slashjunior said:
I brought the 80GB Video on impulse. Although, now my main music device is my iPhone. 8GB is sufficient for daily use, plus I don't want to carry both around. I only use my 80GB one when I go away somewhere for a long time. 160GB seems a bit overkill for me.

You're not the only one though. Apple is good at getting people to by stuff on impulse, hence my iMac, MacBook, iPod and iPhone!
I agree, I almost bought the 80gig, but I am glad I got the 160 gig, with all the movies I have on this thing plus my music I could potentially fill this thing fast, im only on 50gig right now, but I am glad I have the room.

TreoRenegade

Don't feel bad. I went in gunning for a nano. Saw the $50 diff between it and the 80gig Classic, and opted instead for the latter. At the time, I beat myself up thinking it was overkill. That was October. I now have only 12 gigs of space left, after some pruning. So, sometimes, impulse CAN be a friend!!

yope

not foolish at all.... it's cool to have EVERYTHING at your fingertips.
Thanks to my Classic, I have close to 40 Gig of Audio (And growing!) and 80 Gig of video with me everywhere I go. You can't ever have too much storage.

mmf1955

I bought a 160gb ipod

Hi fellas i must say that i'm very happy with my 160gb ipod! At first i was concerned about some people complaining that this ipod was slower that previous ipod's but I have realized that it was a lie, my ipod works fine with over 17,000 songs of my collection and one of my goals is to fill my ipod completely! I haven't uploaded any videos jet and I have 100gb of music stored and sorted perfectly in my ipod.

I must recommend anyone to buy a 160gb ipod it is worth it.

Have a nice day!

mmf1955

Happy with my 160gb ipod

Hi fellas i must say that i'm very happy with my 160gb ipod! At first i was concerned about some people complaining that this ipod was slower that previous ipod's but I have realized that it was a lie, my ipod works fine with over 17,000 songs of my collection and one of my goals is to fill my ipod completely! I haven't uploaded any videos jet and I have 100gb of music stored and sorted perfectly in my ipod.

I must recommend anyone to buy a 160gb ipod it is worth it.

Have a nice day!