• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Proof that H.264 is FAR better than MPEG4

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

yanathin

Visual proof that H.264 is FAR better than MPEG4

Well, here we have it, folks. No need for anymore debate on which codec offers better quality for the iPod. The attached picture says everything.

The screenshots are from Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children at the 44:34 position. Each codec produced a 470mb file (a few KB in difference) by using the Videora iPod Converter (search for it in the iLounge forums, VERY nice program, much like PSP Video 9). I created the following profile: 512kbps Video, 29.97fps, 1-pass (for quicker encoding), 1:1 Ratio, 320x240 Resolution, 128kbps Stereo audio, 44100khz Sample Rate. It took about 40 minutes to encode the entire movie, which is less than half the length of the actual movie.

As you can see, H.264 not only produces better brightness, contrast and color results, but has absolutely no "grain" found in MPEG4, especially in fast-paced movies (like FFVII - AC).

Attachments

Last edited:

enjoilax

I'm thinking of converting some of my ripped movies to H.264 (except in iPod dimensions)

How does it look expanded?

yanathin

Yup, iPod Videora. Whoa, and I just realized there's a forum dedicated to this type of stuff on iLounge. Sorry for posting it in the wrong place.

brownstonemr

No matter what settings I use with Videora my converted vids only ever have 64bit or 96bit audio. With PSP Video 9 my converted vids at least appear to have 128 audio...even though I selected 192.

Any ideas?