Problems with New PC/iTunes Transfer (Win 7)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
On my old PC I have the library on the C: and my actual Media files (all albums) on an external drive due to space issues. I now have a new PC and want to copy my iTunes Media on my external drive to my C:. I tried doing this yesterday, but screwed something up (I was able to recover).

I'm using iTunes 10.7 (because v11.0 sucks)

Is it just a simple as copying the files from the external drive to the C: drive? I tried to consolidate the files and copy yesterday - I must have done something wrong or been too impatient for the consolidation (how does this typically take for 200 GB?)

Also a question on the library - does iTunes allow for the library to be stored somewhere other than its default C drive location. I don't want to move it - I just found anything in iTunes that allows for changing this (like you can the media files).

Thanks in advance for all replies.

cjmnews

Staff member
You can't just copy the media around. That confuses iTunes.

You need to use the consolidate feature File->Library->Organize Library, check Consolidate Files, click OK.
This will copy all your media files to a new location and update the library file to show the new location. I think you need to be using the iTunes manages library and copy media to iTunes media folder options for this to work well.

200GB will take a long time. Be patient. Or start it before you go to sleep or something.

Yes you can move the library file anywhere you'd like as long as it is always available when you start iTunes and you tell iTunes where it is by holding SHIFT when iTunes starts then pick the new location of the library file.

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
You can't just copy the media around. That confuses iTunes.

You need to use the consolidate feature File->Library->Organize Library, check Consolidate Files, click OK.
This will copy all your media files to a new location and update the library file to show the new location. I think you need to be using the iTunes manages library and copy media to iTunes media folder options for this to work well.

200GB will take a long time. Be patient. Or start it before you go to sleep or something.

Yes you can move the library file anywhere you'd like as long as it is always available when you start iTunes and you tell iTunes where it is by holding SHIFT when iTunes starts then pick the new location of the library file.
Thanks CMJ. I was able to copy my media files back to C: drive & test to make sure everything the C: worked ok. Then I copied the library files back to my external drive.

I know backing up the library files occasionally is the key - can this be done by a simple copy/paste?

Now that I have mirror images on two separate drives - I will use consolidate going forward to back things up from my C: to my external drive. When I do this does it copy both media files, album artwork and library files to where I choose? When I ran the consolidate yesterday I let it run for about an hour and I never got a prompt to select where I wanted to copy everything. How long does this typically take?

Last edited:

cjmnews

Staff member
Consolidate is not good for making backups as it changes the location of the files to point to the new location inside off the library file.

Use backup software or xcopy to do backups.

Yes copying the library file is as simple as copy paste. Some people have scripts to make daily copies that overwrite on a weekly basis. I think a backup must include the library file and all the media. My backup goes to an external drive that goes in a fire box.

Consolidate only copies the media not anything else. The auto-downloaded art and library remain where they were.

The speed depends on how much data you have, the horsepower of your computer, the speed of your hard drive, etc.. The first stage is checking your library to see tht everything is there. After that I think it will ask for a new location. I have not run this so I can't be 100% sure. Then it will copy to the files and update the library.

I would expect much more than an hour for 200 GB.

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
thanks again. It's amazing how much people know or have figured out with iTunes - when there is virtually no user's manual (I'm old school - from the keypunch card days when there were volumes of manuals). I guess Apple had it right to not produce manual and make everything intuitive. Most of the stuff I've been able to figure out - but I come to iLounge for stupid questions like the above.