Problems with Default Media Folder Location

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
I recently switched to a new PC and I'm having problems with my default media location.

My iTunes Media Folder Location is:

C:\Users\blueboy714\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media

but it is putting everything new that I load into

C:\Users\blueboy714\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\MUSIC

Previously it was loading all music data directly in the iTunes Media directory - although it did create a Podcasts directory just for the podcasts - it just didn't do the same thing for the music.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I want all of my files in the same directory not in two different places? Right now I have 300 GB in the \iTunes Media directory and a couple of albums in \iTunes Media\MUSIC directory

Also - what is the easiest way to correct the problem - do I change default locations, move files from one directory to another - and if so how?

Any help would be appreciated ... Thanks

Last edited:

kornchild2002

Change the location iTunes Stores your library. Click on Edit, Preferences, and then the Advanced tab. Change it to Whatever you want (the shortest directory). Then click on File, go down to Library, and click on Organize. Select Consolidate and iTunes will copy all of the files not already in its destination folder to the destination folder.

Just know that iTunes does in fact now create separate folders now for different media types. For example, I have a folder on my hard drive called "iTunes." I have that folder set to my main library location along with having iTunes organize my library for me. iTunes has created a series of sub-folders called Music, Movies, Podcasts, etc. iTunes didn't used to do this but Apple updated it so that iTunes wasn't throwing every media file in the same folder. It is a better way of organizing a library so that movies aren't mixed up with music albums, apps, eBooks, and audiobooks.

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
Change the location iTunes Stores your library. Click on Edit, Preferences, and then the Advanced tab. Change it to Whatever you want (the shortest directory). Then click on File, go down to Library, and click on Organize. Select Consolidate and iTunes will copy all of the files not already in its destination folder to the destination folder.

Just know that iTunes does in fact now create separate folders now for different media types. For example, I have a folder on my hard drive called "iTunes." I have that folder set to my main library location along with having iTunes organize my library for me. iTunes has created a series of sub-folders called Music, Movies, Podcasts, etc. iTunes didn't used to do this but Apple updated it so that iTunes wasn't throwing every media file in the same folder. It is a better way of organizing a library so that movies aren't mixed up with music albums, apps, eBooks, and audiobooks.
that's what I figured - I was hoping I could just rename the directory & change my default directory in iTunes and not have to consolidate - but I'm assuming that would corrupt the library.

is iTunes smart enough to not to move the existing Music directory to the Music directory?

Last edited:

kornchild2002

iTunes will not consolidate your library so long as you tell it not to. It is a process that must be started by you, it won't do it automatically. As for how long it takes, I don't know. It depends on how much content iTunes has to move and that all depends on where it is located. The process will move a lot slower if you are copying media from a USB 2.0 external hard drive onto either the same or different USB 2.0 hard drive. Things will be fast if all your external drives go through USB 3.0 or eSATA or if you are working with internal hard drive/s. The only thing that will really slowdown the process is the use of USB 2.0 external hard drive.

So I can't accurately answer your question without knowing more information. However, I can tell you that it will take a minimum of about 45 minutes all the way up to 4-5 hours if you are moving files on a USB 2.0 hard drive and copying them to the same drive.

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
thanks - I'll start it before I go bed some evening & see what happens. I have my pre-new PC backups on an USB 3.0 external drive & my new PC files on an internal drive. I just need to backup my current library files first.

I'll also make sure my iPods are up-to-date before I begin - just in case. I've needed to use CopyTrans a few times in the past and it hasn't let me down yet.

Last edited:

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
a dumb question but I'll ask it before I begin the consolidation.

if I change my default directory from:

to
C:\Users\blueboy714\Music\iTunes

and then consolidate will the consolidation automatically know to create MUSIC and PODCAST directories under and put things in the correct place? Thanks

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Wait, the folder structure you've listed will end up being the same, what are you trying to accomplish? Where your files are stored doesn't mean anything to iTunes, so there's no need to manipulate file locations.

Last edited:

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
Wait, the folder structure you've listed will end up being the same, what are you trying to accomplish? Where your files are stored doesn't mean anything to iTunes, so there's no need to manipulate file locations.
I want all my music to be in a MUSIC directory, my podcasts to be in a PODCASTS directory. Right now 99% of my MUSIC is in the directory

The other 1% of the MUSIC is in the directory

C:\Users\blueboy714\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\MUSIC

I want everything to the same place, so I don't have to look in 2 difference directories on my hard drive.

I'm not sure why this happened - other than the fact that I just switched PCs (but I'm using the same version of iTunes - 10.7)

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
OK, to re-cap what you should be doing:

1- Go into iTunes Edit/Preferences and select the Advanced tab.

2- Check what is being used as your iTunes Media folder location, it should be:

3- IMPORTANT: Verify that the options "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" are selected.

4- Close Preferences. If you changed anything and iTunes asks if you want to let it re-organize things, let it (although it likely won't actually do anything, I've never seen it do anything from that prompt).

5- Now go to File/Library/Organize Library. There are two options in there, "Consolidate files" and "Reorganize files in the folder "iTunes Media"".

5a- If the 2nd option "Reorganize files in the folder "iTunes Media" is available, select that and click OK. iTunes will then move (not copy) all your media files into the proper sub-folders.

5b- If the 2nd option is not available, then iTunes thinks things are already organized (sounds like they're not though). If the only choice is "Consolidate files" then select that. iTunes may copy (not move) the files to their appropriate folder. If that happens and it leaves the original files "loose" in the iTunes Media folder and put copies into the Music sub-folder, you'll have to clean up by deleting the original files (but first verify that all the files were also copied into the Music sub-folder).

No matter what you choose, 5a or 5b, plan on it taking up to a few hours to shuffle things around.

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
thanks RMP - 2nd option isn't available so I will consolidate this weekend, so I will backup my library and then let it run.

Last edited:

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
ok - I ran it last night and it took less than an hour to consolidate 150 GB, which seemed suspicious. I started looking at what was consolidated to the "iTunes Media\MUSIC" directory and only about 2/3 of my files were copied. The other 1/3 were still in their original location (iTunes Media). Anything before 10/23/2010 was successful.

In the past when I've backed up things from internal drive to external drive I've done a straight copy (that's what I was told previously on iLounge), so I have a backup an external drive from before I bought my new PC.

Worst case - I could try to copy everything back to my internal drive.
I could try to consolidate the files again and see what happens.

Anyone have any ideas on this one?

Last edited:

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Very strange, not sure why the stubborn files won't move. If you have the capacity, perhaps try consolidating to an entirely different folder structure on the drive, or to another drive at least temporarily. Change your iTunes Media folder location in Preferences and then consolidate again to the new location.

If you're successful in that, the original files will remain where they were so you'll need to delete them (or move them somewhere for safekeeping). If you want the library stored in the location above, then maybe delete and re-create it, then set that location back in Preferences and consolidate again.

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
thanks - I'm afraid to play around with it since I'm anal and stubborn enough not give up as long I have some idea what to do. My capacity should be fine - I just bought a 1 TB hard drive so I could have my iTunes files on my hard drive (right now I've got about 150-200 GB). I'll let know what happens.

Last edited:

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
question - the consolidation copied some files to the "iTunes Media\MUSIC" directory but also left all of them in the original "iTunes Media" directory. Will it cause any problems with another consolidation if the same files are two locations? I know what date the files were added to iTunes when I look iTunes, but when I look in the actual directory in Windows 7 explorer - everything has the same date (today), so I don't know what was actually copied.

I can easily create a "temp iTunes" directory and consolidate everything to that and just find out I suppose. thanks.

Last edited:

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
At this point the safest thing for you to do is leave the native files alone. Let iTunes manage the consolidation to a new location -- do not do anything with the native files until the consolidation is complete and you've verified that all the files were moved to the new location, and iTunes sees them all in the new location.

Once that is done and verified, then and only then should you delete any of the files in the original location (in the original iTunes Media folder or Music sub-folder).

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
RMP - good news - I created a directory a directory "C:\temp iTunes" and it successfully copied everything over correctly. Now I just need to follow your directions to delete everything in the iTunes Media directory and then consolidate everything back to the original "C:\Users\blueboy714\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media" directory. Thanks

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Great, glad its working. I suspect that files which are under the general iTunes folder, but not in their designated sub-folder don't consolidate to where they belong. So changing everything to consolidate to a completely new location cleans things up.

Enjoy your weekend!

blueboy714

with Strange Questions
OK - I was able to consolidate the majority of my music back to "iTunes Media\Music". I still have some songs in iTunes that get the "song could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate?". All of the files were on the "temp iTunes Media" directory, so I was able to find them.

But now I have 402 folders being used from the "iTunes Media\Music" & all 482 in folders "temp iTunes Media" directory but only 80 folders being used from the "temp iTunes Media" directory by the iTunes library.

Now I'm back to my original issue. If I run another consolidation - will iTunes copy only the 80 folders from the temp directory to the "iTunes Media\Music" directory -without copying a second copy of the other 402 folders already in the "iTunes Media\Music" directory? I don't want duplicates of 402 folders in my "iTunes Media\Music" directory now that I am so close to getting things straightened out.

EDIT - I finally gave up trying to get iTunes and my new PC in-sync, so I decided to wuss out and hook up my CopyTrans. I'd still be curious to know if iTunes could handle my above situation.

Last edited: