Problems adding books from overdrive to ipod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

chris544

Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem transferring audiobooks from Overdrive to the iPod? I keep getting an error message during the transfer and it wont do it. I have been talking with Overdrive and they say I have done everything right and it may be the iPod's software. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

cjmnews

Staff member
Just to be clear:
The iPod is in Manual Mode (and the Apply button was clicked)
There is space on the iPod for the book
iTunes is running
Overdrive is running
The book is not expired
The iPod is connected directly to a Computer USB port and not through a monitor, keyboard or hub.

I am downloading a book to test it out. I realize now that I have not upgraded Overdrive from version 3.2 to version 3.4 yet.

With Version 3.2 and an MP3 Audiobook it transferred fine. Upgraded to 3.4 and it worked too.

chris544

Yes to everything other then I am not sure about the overdrive version. I have windows 7 so the only option I see is for windows desktop download. I have redownloaded overdrive as well as restoring the ipod twice.

The iPod is in Manual Mode (and the Apply button was clicked)
There is space on the iPod for the book
iTunes is running
Overdrive is running
The book is not expired
The iPod is connected directly to a Computer USB port and not through a monitor, keyboard or hub.

I am downloading a book to test it out. I realize now that I have not upgraded Overdrive from version 3.2 to version 3.4 yet.

With Version 3.2 and an MP3 Audiobook it transferred fine. Upgraded to 3.4 and it worked too.[/QUOTE]

chris544

I wonder if its because there are mp3 files from a windows version to an ipod? this is from Wikipedia

s worth noting that WMA content is ONLY supported on the Windows version of the OverDrive Media Console,[9] which dramatically reduces the number of titles available to library patrons who use non-Windows 8 portable devices or Mac computers. However, many publishers allow transfers of WMA format materials to Apple devices after downloading to a Windows computer.[citation needed]

cjmnews

Staff member
I have had WMA books before and used Overdrive to transfer to my iPod before.

I picked a small (7 part) MP3 book to reduce the the download time so I could help and catch my flight, I'll see if I can get a WMA book later today.

cjmnews

Staff member
OK, I tried the WMA book and figured it out. The same problem exists with MP3 books, but since I had used Overdrive before it had remembered my setting to transfer to the iPod.

The OverDrive software sees the iPod as 2 devices.
1. Apple Mobile Device USB Driver (aka: Thumb Drive)
2. Apple Device (iPod Name)

If you leave the default setting (the thumb drive) it puts the book at the top level of the iPod and the iPod can't see it. You may want to go to the top level of your iPod in Windows Explorer and delete the audio book from there. *.wma (also a format the iPod can't read)

So after you click on Transfer, a small popup window appears. Click on the drop down box and select your iPod which should have a prefix Apple Device followed by (your iPod name)
Then click on the Next button. It will use iTunes to convert the files to a format the iPod can understand and put it in the correct location.

That should do it for you.

chris544

Still does not work. In fact my drop down box during the transfer gives me 3 options.

Chris"s IPO

Itunes Library and Apple device (Chris's Ipod)

Apple device ( Chri's ipod)

These are exactly what the drop down says. The one that does not give the error is Chris's IPO but I have no idea where that goes-it is not going on the Ipod and I have searched my computer, windows 7 and it comes up with nothing. Mind you I am trying to transfer mp3 files only. This is baffling to me as it seems I have done everything right bu the book.

I really apperaciate your help friend.

chris544

It's a Overdrive error message. 0x000000000. The files cannot be transferred to this Ipod. Every time, other then the option for- ChrisIpo which will transfer somewhere but its not to the pod. I just upgraded Itunes this morning and it still does not work.

I may just have to go get a regular mp3 player and try that. I'm in the car for work all day and having books to listen to is a godsend. I'm finding that more and more books are going digital instead of CD's from my Library.
Thanks Cj.

cjmnews

Staff member
That error is usually caused by an iPod that is not in manual mode.

Plug your iPod into your iTunes computer.
Click on it in iTunes.
Look at the check boxes, make sure that Manually manage music and videos is checked.

If it is, then uncheck it, click Apply.
Then check it and click Apply.

chris544

I have done that-about 10 times lol. I just do not know the solution to this and I appreciate all your efforts but I think it's time to find a new mp3 player.

chris544

That too Cj- Restored it multiple times. BTW now the only option it gives me when I go to transfer is i

Chris "s IPO. It transfers somewhere but it not on the pod! Lol

I think were almost done with this. I would think Overdrive would try harder to fix the problem but they says it's apple. I have access to a mac. I may load I-tunes on and then download overdrive and try it from there. I'll let you know the outcome!

Attachments

cjmnews

Staff member
Your screen shot is 1 step early and does not show the selection you stated. If you use ALT-PRT SCRN then you get just the selected window, not the whole screen, making it easier to read.

Some additional questions:
- After the restore you named the iPod and set up manual management again right?
- When the iPod is plugged in, and you open Windows explorer do you see the iPod as a drive? Is the drive letter the same as another drive (external, photo card, etc) on your system?
- Did you upgrade to the 12.1 iTunes yet? It apparently makes everything in iTunes 64 bit, and I am about to upgrade to it to see if that breaks Overdrive.

When I upgraded to Overdrive 3.4 my Options for syncing changed.
1. Chris's IPOD
2. Apple device ( Chris's IPOD)
3. iTunes Library and Apple device (Chris's IPOD)

If you use the first option, in my case the files end up at the top level of my iPod and are not converted and not playable on the iPod.
The second option is what I use.
The third option puts the book into iTunes, then you can use iTunes to manage the book.

I am also on Windows 7, iPod is named the same, and I have 4 MP3 audiobooks in Overdrive to play with.

After we get your situation resolved, I may play with the third option as I always pull the book back off the iPod so I can use auto sync for my music on my Nano.

cjmnews

Staff member
Don't upgrade to 12.1 this breaks it completely.

I can no longer use Overdrive to put tracks onto my iPod.
Overdrive ALWAYS select the iPod as a drive now, and puts them at the top level of my iPod.

I have a work around for MP3 books though:
Go to My Documents\My Media\MP3 Audiobooks
Select the mp3 files, drag and drop onto iTunes.
Update the tracks as you need, I set the Media Type to Audiobook and change the Genre.
Use autosync and playlists to sync the tracks or drag from iTunes and drop on iPod (in iTunes) to manually manage them.

This will work for UNPROTECTED MP3 and WMA files. But if they have DRM on them (Windows Media Player will play them, Quicktime will not) then this work around will not work.

I will see if I can notify Overdrive of the issue.

chris544

I already upgraded yesterday. This is now the only option I have when transferring as you can see from the screen shot below. My Ipod does show up as device L. I cannot locate any "My Media folder" in either pictures or documents and when i go to search for MP3's none show up. I am running windows 7. The drive letter for the ipod is not the same as any other device.

Attachments

cjmnews

Staff member
On your C drive or where you store your files on your PC, Overdrive stores the files they download.

The default on mine is C:\Users\<login>\Documents\My Media\MP3 Audiobooks.
You can open the Options to see where your default location is.

You should find the files there on your hard drive, and can drag and drop them onto iTunes.

cjmnews

Staff member
I found another way for it to work.

Roll back to iTunes 12.0.1
1. download iTunes 12.0.1 Download iTunes 12.0.1 (64-bit) - FileHippo.com
2. uninstall iTunes 12.1 (and Apple Mobile Device service, Apple Application support 32 bit, Apple Application support 64 bit)
3. uninstall Overdrive 3.4
4. Install iTunes 12.0.1
5. reboot
6. Install Overdrive 3.4

Try the transfer and you should be able to select: Apple Device (Chris's IPOD)

It looks like Overdrive needs an update for iTunes 12.1. I have reported it to them, they of course tried to tell me that the drop down box would resolve the problem, which it can't since it did not exist.
So we're going back and forth now.