Post Comments Here: iTunes 4.9 Released!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Palmin

Can you be a bit more specific? What doesn't work anymore?

Cheers
Bernd

Palmin

Ah, now I see what you meant:

Smart playlists with conditions like "Last played is not in the last X days" do not auto-update on the iPod anymore...

Aargh... instead of fixing one of the moist annoying things regarding smart playlists on the iPod (namely that playlists which referenced other playlists which were changing did not update), they removed the auto-update of playlists on the iPod completely!

This is just annoying!

BTW, iTunes 4.9 has nothing to do with it, it worked OK here before updating the iPod to software version 1.2, so going back to 1.1 should fix this...

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Re: Not authorized to play podcasts!

Lt_Core said:
I downloading a bunch of free podcasts but I can't listen to them or sync them with my iPod. Message says "This computer is not authorized to listen to this podcast." I've had an iTunes account for a couple of years now. What gives?
Try to subscribe to the podcast instead of just downloading the single episode. This worked for me.

Stuart

a1ehouse

Palmin said:
... they removed the auto-update of playlists on the iPod completely!

This is just annoying!

BTW, iTunes 4.9 has nothing to do with it, it worked OK here before updating the iPod to software version 1.2, so going back to 1.1 should fix this...
Yup sure is a pain in the old deriere. Anyone know how to roll back? I though tit would be a simple case of pluggging in and rerunning the firmware from old, but it says I am up to date?!?!?

[edit]I sussed it out - just change the sysinfo file in the devices folder on you ipod and change the "buildID" and "visiblebuildID". Now I've got my updating smartlists back!![/edit]

Last edited:

allanmap

Website
oldtimemusic.typepad.com
I'm new to podcasting and have been trying out various podcatchers. Today I started using iTunes for my podcasts and within the first 10 minutes knew I could drag the other podcasters to the trash. iTunes makes it all simple and clean. The bad thing is yesterday I dropped my ipod and got that awful exclamation point/folder icon and I have tried everything and can't get it to start up. The good thing is it's 3 years old and these new ipods look cool. The bad thing is I'm broke...

Mainsolutions

First of all, Smart Playlists will live update off other playlists, if you check the box for live updating.

Second, Podcasts are kept separate from the iTunes library, unless you add the podcasts files to your library or any playlist, in which case they will be available to smart playlists. You can manually update your library by viewing Podcasts, select-All, and drag to the library. Not a huge hassle, and a necessity for those who want to treat Podcasts like radio, something you want to go away after you've heard it.

I'd like to see the Podcast preferences for deletion available on a per-podcast basis. Some podcasts I like to archive, others I wish would go away once I've heard them.

junoreactor

Is podcast working?

I downloaded the new Itunes and updater and it installed ok. I also subscribe to a few podcast from the music store, but when I go to play it..nothing! I synched my iPod and it doesn't show.

Palmin

Mainsolutions said:
First of all, Smart Playlists will live update off other playlists, if you check the box for live updating.
Sorry, but that's just not true for Smart Playlists on the iPod. In iTunes, this still works (as before), but on the iPod, auto-update of SPLs stopped working completely... :mad:

Cheers
Bernd

Mainsolutions

Palmin said:
Sorry, but that's just not true for Smart Playlists on the iPod. In iTunes, this still works (as before), but on the iPod, auto-update of SPLs stopped working completely... :mad:

Cheers
Bernd
That's interesting. I don't think mine (g3) ever had functional Smart Playlist on the iPod. I'd think the only time it matters is with play references (Play Count, Date Played), the rest would only change once the iPod was resynced, anyway?

junoreactor

Ipod Updater software

Is it possible to uninstall older versions of the updater software without messing things up? These files are large!

Palmin

Mainsolutions said:
I'd think the only time it matters is with play references (Play Count, Date Played), the rest would only change once the iPod was resynced, anyway?
Yes, that's exactly what worked, playlists referencing play count and/or Last Played did automatically update on the iPod. It seems that there were some glitches (e.g. the Recently Played playlist was often sorted strangely, and smart playlists referencing other playlists never did auto-update), and it seems like instead of fixing these, Apple decided to ditch this feature altogther :mad:

Cheers :(

a1ehouse

Re: iPod Updater software

junoreactor said:
Is it possible to uninstall older versions of the updater software without messing things up? These files are large!
Yup - see above "just change the sysinfo file in the devices folder on you ipod and change the "buildID" and "visiblebuildID". " When you come to resynch, the updater thinks you need to update "back" to 1.1! ;)

Lt_Core

Any ideas why my Mac does not have permission to listen to Podcasts? I've downloaded them but can't listen to them. They won't sync to my 3rd Gen iPod either. No one seems to know why. Very frustrating!