Podcasts don't show up

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

pursuant

I have downloaded a variety of podcasts in the form of mp3s. I transfer them into my Itunes (current version). I was having a difficult time finding them so i added a new sort field, date added, thinking this would allow me to see what i had just transferred. The problem is that only one or two files show up when I transfer 4 or five. Somehow there is a limit of how many I can add? or some kind of sort field that I created to limit these transfers. I cannot figure out what it could be. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank

cjmnews

Staff member
It depends on your usage and settings.

Does iTunes know these are podcasts? Are they subscriptions (show up in podcast section) or just MP3 files (show up in the Music section)?

Is your podcast settings set to only sync the last episode or the last 3, or all? Click on your device, then click on the Podcast section (assuming podcast subscription).

pursuant

podcast mp3

these are just mp3 files, Itunes sees them as music, I go into options and change them to podcasts

cjmnews

Staff member
I would think you would just subscribe to the podcast in the iTunes Store or use File->Subscribe To Podcast for feeds that are not in the store. This way you don't have to muck with the options or downloading or importing.

Lets break this down into steps.
1. Use Browser to download 4 episodes of a podcast and save to Downloads folder.
2. Open iTunes, use File->Add File to Library
3. Select the 4 files from the Downloads folder, click Open.
4. Click on the Music section, scroll to the artist, see 1 file.
5. Right Click on the file and choose Get Info, go to the Options and set the Media Kind to Podcast
6. Click on the Podcast section and see the episode.

Where are the other 3 files you wonder?
1. Click on the Music section.
2. Click on the header of the Date Added column
3. Scroll to today.
4. All 4 should be there, but you see guests listed as part of the artist, so that is why they were not near the other one.

Is that close?

pursuant

podcasts

I drag and drop my mp3 files into Itunes, do you think if I add them the way you suggested it woulf make a difference?

cjmnews

Staff member
What about the other steps? Do any of those sound familiar?

If there is an RSS feed either through the iTunes Store or stand-alone, then yes your life would be easier by subscribing to the podcasts. Search for it in the iTunes store and click the Subscribe button, or if they have an RSS feed, copy the URL, in iTunes use File->Subscribe to Podcast and paste the URL into the window. If you can do this then we don't have to think about the steps.

Otherwise you'll need to confirm or deny the steps listed, or make a list of steps you follow and the results you see.

pursuant

podcast

These are not files that I can subscribe to. They are from a site that stores them in mp3 format. They are old radio shows from the 30's through 60s. So I just download 250 mb of fifles that are compressed.
They do show up as Music files and I do change them to podcast files. The other files I drag in don't show up period. I sort by date added but they aren't there. Only one or two show up as music files.

cjmnews

Staff member
Those files may have invalid ID3 tags (version 1, or no tags). You may want to look at Tag & Rename to fix the tags before importing.

They should be version 2.3 for best compatibility.

tapsisarkar

My Podcasts Don't Show Up

On my iPod 80GB Classic, I have many podcasts, but they don't show up under the podcasts category on my iPod! If I look under playlists under music, they show up, but not under podcasts! Please help me.

HP Pavilion dv2000 (Verve Special Edition), Windows Vista

pursuant

playlist podcasts

Are you downloading them from from a subscription site? Can you go into the individual podcasts, right click and go to options and see how they are tagged?