Please help a moron!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

m3r0v1ng1an

I've been searching these forums for a while and can't find the solution to my problem. I'm probably missing something obvious because what I want to do should be possible.

I have several hundred contacts on my classic iPhone and I want to back them up to my new iMac (which presently has no contacts or address book listings).

I'm afraid to sync the iPhone to iTunes because I fear it will erase my iPhone contacts.

Someone please help. I'm a desperate moron!

anypats

Syncing your phone shouldn't erase all of your contacts. Data always precedes no data in a sync. However, if you're really worried about it then you can sign up for a free MobileMe trial to push all of your contacts to the "cloud" and have Mail on your Mac receive them that way.

m3r0v1ng1an

anypats said:
Syncing your phone shouldn't erase all of your contacts. Data always precedes no data in a sync. However, if you're really worried about it then you can sign up for a free MobileMe trial to push all of your contacts to the "cloud" and have Mail on your Mac receive them that way.
Actually I tried syncing with my iPod Touch just to test if it would overwrite the existing contacts, and it did.

I suppose the MobileMe solution would work but I can't believe that there isn't an easier solution.

If I add contacts to my iPhone in the field why can't I just plug my iPhone into my iMac and sync the info back to the computer?

anypats

m3r0v1ng1an said:
Actually I tried syncing with my iPod Touch just to test if it would overwrite the existing contacts, and it did.

I suppose the MobileMe solution would work but I can't believe that there isn't an easier solution.

If I add contacts to my iPhone in the field why can't I just plug my iPhone into my iMac and sync the info back to the computer?
Before I had MobileMe, if I added a contact while at work on the iPhone and then did a sync at home it would add the contact to Contacts on my Mac. Before I had a Mac it would sync the contact to Outlook on my PC. Never had any problems with it losing any information because of a sync.

Now with MobileMe it just pushes the information to my Mac and my PC and to the Cloud online.

wallisj

MobileMe syncing without info in the cloud already WILL ERASE your data

It says in the install guide (and i have done it) you MUST sync the data to a mac BEFORE you setup contact syncing with MobileMe as the cloud data REPLACES your data

Sry for caps but i don't want you to lose your data.... sync to address book 1st ... it'll be fine

m3r0v1ng1an

wallisj said:
MobileMe syncing without info in the cloud already WILL ERASE your data

It says in the install guide (and i have done it) you MUST sync the data to a mac BEFORE you setup contact syncing with MobileMe as the cloud data REPLACES your data

Sry for caps but i don't want you to lose your data.... sync to address book 1st ... it'll be fine
Thanks! You just saved me a GIANT headache.