• Please note that signatures and avatars on iLounge are only available after reaching certain membership thresholds.

Signatures

In order to be able to have a signature, users must have been a member for 7 days and have accumulated 10 posts.

Avatars are reserved for only the most senior of iLounge forum members. Users will not be able to use an avatar until they have been a member for a minimum of one year, and accumulated 1,500 posts. This is considered the Veteran Lounger level of membership.

A note on post whoring...

We welcome and encourage our members to make valuable and useful contributions to the iLounge forums, and to have fun, socialize, and actively participate in discussions on the forums. However, as per the Forum Policy, we will not tolerate excessive and unnecessary posting. Posting inane and pointless messages solely to increase one's post count in the hopes of reaching a higher membership level will be dealt with by the forum staff. Unnecessary posts may be subject to removal, and persisting in this behaviour will result in post counts being reduced and any further action being taken as deemed necessary.

• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

PLEASE create a linux forum!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

signmeuptoo

I am a dedicated Linux user. I got converted about 2 months ago, and it is definitely addicting. I have even gone to the trouble to write to Apple asking them to port iTunes and updater to Linux!

It would mean a LOT to me if there was an everyting involving linux forum on your site, so we could discuss linux software and linux on the iPod. Basically, everything to do with music for the iPod/software for it/etc. on the linux/freebsd platforms.

iLounge is the defacto place to be when discussing iPod/iTunes related topics and issues. So why is the fastest growing operating system being ignored here?

Please consider us and add a forum. It may be gradual, but people will slowly gravitate to the forum as time passes. And I sure will be on it.

THANK YOU FOR LISTENING, and thank your for your excellent site!

signmeuptoo
iPod mini owner

P

Performa460

Linux for iPod is a grate idea and a grate thing, the more publicity it gets, the more programmers will get intrested and the better it will become. Which is why im going to advertise it on my Podcast once it gets going.

Make the forum.

gregday

Willing to help

I've owned 3 different iPods, and I'm about to get a new video one, and I run Linux on the desktop and haven't run Windows at home for years.

In fact, I used an iPod with Linux long before ever getting my first Mac!

I've installed, used, tested, and evaluated all kinds of software for using the iPod under Linux, and I now know quite a bit about how it all works together, from kernel modules to easy tagging solutions.

I've also installed Linux on my iPod (dual booting!) just for fun.

I support the creation of a Linux forum and I am more than willing to help out as a moderator or whatever help I can be.

iLounge rocks!

Spud8

Freshman Lounger
I think that a linux forum is a really good idea. I am running linux on my computer and i am clueless as to how to get my ipod to work with it. I havnt really had to update it but when i do i just end up going to my friends house. I think that a linux forum would be a perfect idea

Hungarianhc

Website
www.pikeucsd.com
To be honest... the only reason why I just signed up for this forum is in hopes of an iPod linux forum!!!

If you build it, they will come.

TallPaul

Website
javajedi.com
Linux is going mainstream, it makes sense.

Well I am all for a Linux forum.

I think the Hacks and Mods forum is the place to talk about Linux ON your iPod, but you need a forum to talk about Linux WITH an iPod. Well actually depending on how you class Mac OS X under the hood you may already have one, but ignoring that fact I think it makes sense ;)

My main PC is Linux as of last year, my home server has been Linux for 8+ and I for one only have a single remaining Windoze PC (work laptop, MP3's on home LINUX file server) which I have to use for iTunes and would like to be able to discuss alternatives with other users.

There is a lot more to Linux and iPod than people hacking it into the tiny fella, and there are many iPod like Linux discussion to be had, such as running a DAAP server on your linux fileserver so it shows in iTunes, or out to media clients such as those made by ROKR on your network.

Unless Front Row makes it onto Mini and other home cinema friendly sized machines, I think there will be a continued interest in Linux and iPod as currently Linux is the best platform for STB's.

Why not suck it and see? You could always close it down if it was unsucessful?

As Hungarianhc says "If you build it, they will come." ;)

Paul.

P

Performa460

I think the iPod Lunix guys are struggeling to keep up with the new iPods, the more help the faster newer iPods will be supported (And old iPods can play video ;))

And judging by the mind boggoling amount of vewiers this site has, the more donations/prgrammers/mental support they will get.

walter_f

signmeuptoo's proposal...

... strongly supported here.

A Linux forum at iLounge would be great.

Thanks for the excellent site.

Regards,

Walter.

LakotaElsewhere

I think a linux forum would be good. I only registered tonight, although I found iLounge last summer. Reason being, I only used linux at the time, so with no support here; I ended up going to LinuxQuestions for iPod support. I am a regular here as far as reading goes, may do some posting now that I have registered for the purpose of supporting those asking for a linux forum. Also regularily listen to the iLounge podcasts at work.

~tl

Just to clarify, this thread is to show your support for a forum for discussion of using a iPod on Linux (like we have forums for iPod on Windows & Mac ATM). This is not for the creation of a forum discussing iPodLinux, which is covered in the Hacks & Mods section.

Thanks,

TOM