Playlists Fail on Some Devices

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

crashtestdummy

I have some smart playlists that I've been using for many years with my iPod Classic with very few problems. I have also used these lists on an iPhone 4 and an iPad 3. When these devices were new, there was rarely any problems.

So the lists will still work on the Classic. On the iPhone and iPad, the lists will be synced, and the available space bar will decrease accordingly. However when I open the playlists, they are empty. On my iPhone the list will quite often show the various tunes, but when I try to play them, it will rapidly go through them and take them off of the list without any music being played.

I have tried renaming the lists and once in a great while this will work and the music is transferred. Usually nothing happens other than me wanting to take a hammer to the device to fix it permanently.

Any thoughts, other than to really use the hammer?

cjmnews

Staff member
Apple seems to have lost the will to support smart playlists properly. Especially on IOS.

It seems to get a smart playlist to update on a device you now have to exit the playlist and go back in, that is assuming of course that all the content the playlist depends on is on the device.

The assumption in the previous section means that if your smart playlist is dependent on one or more playlists that are not on the device it will only be updated when you sync.

IOS has other issues where if you have a playlist that is supposed to update based on play counts, then it MUST be dependent on another playlist that is also sync'd to the same device. For example, if you want IOS to keep track of what CD you are on in an audiobook, you have to have 1 playlist (bookCD) that has all CDs in it, and a second playlist that has the rule Playlist is bookCD and Plays < 1.

You should post some of your rules and perhaps we can get you a work around.

crashtestdummy

One playlist that isn't working is one for unrated CD's.

Rating is no stars
Kind does not contain video (I could eliminate this)
Comments contains My CD
live updating enabled

I could get the playlist on the iPhone 4 and Ipad 3, but they contained no music.

Another one that won't even load the playlist is:

Comments contain Amazon
Rating is no stars
Limit to 1 GB
selected by least recently added
live updating enabled

I had an identical one that was
Comments contain internet

and it also won't work.

What did work was a playlist that was:
Playlist is Zero Amazon
Playlist is Zero Internet

So it's using the 2 original playlists to make it work.

All of these lists were working at one time on these devices. I can't say for certain that they quit with iOS 7. Sometimes, but not always, I can unsync all music, then resync the music and I might get the missing music to appear.

At least with my Classic I can put a bunch of stuff on there and have playlists that work.