Playlists disappeared

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

beer.swiller

Good morning all.
I need some good help here. I recently reset my laptop and I have started to reload everything back on it.
I downloaded Tunes yesterday and everything was fine. I then plugged my i phone 11 to attempt to get a certain song added to my lists, I must have done something because all my playlists seem to have disappeared . All I now have on my phone are my songs and no playlists.

I read this can be reversed but I'm not sure how. I sincerely hope some clever person could assist me by gettting that action reversed or how to get those songs onto i tunes.
Kind regards Denn

cjmnews

Staff member
I hope you have backups of all your data (some in obscure locations) or there is not much that can be done here.

This is caused by manually reloading iTunes instead of restoring a backup of the music and restoring the iTunes Library file (usually named iTunes Library.itl) and then syncing an iPhone with the library. The manual reload of iTunes eliminates all the playlists and makes it just songs. The sync makes the iPhone take what is in iTunes and remove all the playlists.

The best way to reverse this is to restore a backup of your iTunes Library on your laptop, then open iTunes, then sync the iPhone again. (Restore a backup of the iTunes folder is the typical method)

As far as songs on your iPhone that are missing in iTunes, I am afraid you are out of luck without an older backup (with iTunes) of your iPhone before this sync happened. The sync erased all songs that iTunes didn't know about along with the playlists.

If you had that older backup (located in C:Users\<login>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup and is a folder with a long name like 5C9507b....), you could restore it through iTunes (Hold Shift key and plug in the device to prevent a sync, click on the device, click on Restore, then pick the older backup) and then use the 3rd party software (CopyTrans used to be one of these) to get the song off of the iPhone to iTunes.

A word of warning though, if you pick a really old backup of the iPhone, all data accumulated since that backup will be lost (pictures, text messages, etc). What I would do is rename the current backup to add an _NoMusic to the name so I could tell the difference which is which. Then I would do the restore of the old backup to get my music back, then I would use the 3rd party software to get my music off of the iPhone, then I would restore the _NoMusic version of the backups, then sync with iTunes that has the music and all the playlists again.

If you don't have backups, then the music that was on the iPhone only is lost (unless it was a purchased track, then you just redownload them) the playlists are lost, and will have to be recreated by hand.