Playlist question: can this be done?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

GadgetGuru72

I'm fairly certain that the answer to my question is "no," but I figured I'd post it here and confirm it.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

I have a set of French language CDs that I'm studying. I'd like to listen to one CD to its completion, repeat that CD, and move on to the next one. I'd like the tracks to drop off the playlist as they're played, so that when I return to the playlist I can begin where I left off.

So, it should look like this:

CD ONE
Track 1
Track 2
Track 3
Track 4
Track 5

CD ONE (AGAIN)
Track 1
Track 2
Track 3
Track 4
Track 5

CD TWO
Track 1
Track 2
Track 3
Track 4
Track 5

CD TWO (AGAIN)

It is easy to create a playlist in which each CD would repeat prior to starting the next one, but the problem is that I cannot figure out how to get them to properly drop off after being played.

For example, if I have a rule that "play count = 0," after I play Track 1 on CD ONE, then BOTH instances of Track 1 will drop off the playlist because the track now has a play count of 1. So, by the time I've listened to CD ONE once, the next thing to play will be Track 1 of CD TWO.

Alternatively, if I have a rule that "play count = 2," then I will not be able to resume where I left off because no track would drop off the list until I've listened to it twice. Therefore, if I listen to Tracks 1, 2 and 3 of CD ONE and then stop, when I return to the playlist it will start again at Track 1 on CD ONE because nothing will have dropped off yet.

I don't think there's a way around this ... but I'd be grateful if anybody here can think of a way to accomplish this.

-GG72

bwh79

A not-very-elegant solution would be to rip the CDs twice (or simply make a second copy of the file) so that you have CD 1-a, then 1-b, then 2-a, etc.

I'll see if I can't think of something a little more elegant, and if I come up with something I'll post back here (unless Code Monkey has done it first :)).

GadgetGuru72

bwh79 said:
A not-very-elegant solution would be to rip the CDs twice (or simply make a second copy of the file) so that you have CD 1-a, then 1-b, then 2-a, etc.

I'll see if I can't think of something a little more elegant, and if I come up with something I'll post back here (unless Code Monkey has done it first :)).
Very clever! Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately it's a 12 CD program, so having it take up the space of 24 CDs isn't the most practical solution.

Any other ideas?

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Another approach would be toggle between two smart playlists -- one defined as playcount=0 and the other as playcount=1. Of course, you'll need additional criteria such as Album=French for Dummies ;)

After completing each track of CD #1 for the first time, the 2nd playlist will start to populate and you'll have to know to switch to the 2nd playlist at the conclusion of the 1st pass of each CD. After you finish each track for the 2nd time, they will drop out of the 2nd playlist.

To make it a little easier to keep track of, make two such playlists for each CD:
CD #1 - Pass 1
CD #1 - Pass 2
CD #2 - Pass 1
CD #2 - Pass 2

Noodle on that and see if it's workable ...

Last edited:

GadgetGuru72

rockmyplimsoul said:
Another approach would be toggle between two smart playlists -- one defined as playcount=0 and the other as playcount=1. Of course, you'll need additional criteria such as Album=French for Dummies ;)

After completing each track of CD #1 for the first time, the 2nd playlist will start to populate and you'll have to know to switch to the 2nd playlist at the conclusion of the 1st pass of each CD. After you finish each track for the 2nd time, they will drop out of the 2nd playlist.

To make it a little easier to keep track of, make two such playlists for each CD:
CD #1 - Pass 1
CD #1 - Pass 2
CD #2 - Pass 1
CD #2 - Pass 2

Noodle on that and see if it's workable ...
Nice job, rockmyplimsoul! Great idea.

I don't think I want 24 separate playlists devoted to French, so I'll just make the 2 playlists that you suggested and stop Playlist 1 at the conclusion of the first disc and switch to Playlist 2. There is a woman's voice at the conclusion of each disc that says something like "This is the conclusion of Disc 1." So, it will be obvious when I've finished each disc and will provide a cue for switching playlists.

Thanks a lot. This is a great idea.

urbanlegend

Toronto Tonto
You could also use a normal playlist and put the tracks in twice in the play order you want.

It's certainly more manual but it would work.

John

GadgetGuru72

urbanlegend said:
You could also use a normal playlist and put the tracks in twice in the play order you want.

It's certainly more manual but it would work.

John
Actually, this would only address the "repeat" issue, not the "drop off" issue. In other words, this technique wouldn't work because the tracks wouldn't drop off after being played, which would require me to remember where I left off.

The suggestion given by rockmyplimsoul addresses both issues. I created his suggested playlists last night and it's working perfectly.