• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Playing music from external or internal HD

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

eqblues

Blue since the 70's
Im getting an internal HD soon as a backup to my external (I know, its usually the other way around), but I was wondering which one of them I should use as a main drive to PLAY the music from.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to using the external for playing and the internal for only storing/backup purposes? or should I be doing it the other way around (playing from internal, storing/backup in external).

I just seem to have bad luck with externals. My five month old 750GB Western Digital My Book, gives me "Delayed write failure" errors and then gets corrupted if when I write to it extensively. And Im scared the other external I just got (cheapo enclosure with a 1TB Samsung HD inside) will also crap out on me.

On the other hand, my current main internal hard drive that came with this computer three years ago, has worked flawlessly for all that time (its a Samsung 300GB). So Im just wondering what you all would do.

Sparkee

I don't think it really makes a difference where the files are went simply playing the content. Audio and video editing I would probably want to use fast internal drives. When I used desktop computers I preferred to keep all my data on internal drives keeping the externals for backups. This way I could keep my desk reasonably clear of clutter and store the back up drives in other locations.

Keep in mind external drives use the same drive as the internal drives. Drives can fail no matter where they are, and commonly fail when new. If there is one thing that is certain, a hard drive has moving parts and will fail, you just never know when.

eqblues

Blue since the 70's
Sparkee said:
Audio and video editing I would probably want to use fast internal drives.
So youre saying that internal drives are faster than the external ones? I thought that they were equally fast as long as the RPMs were the same. If I have a 7.200RPM internal and a 7.200RPM external, wont they be equally fast?

Sparkee said:
Drives can fail no matter where they are, and commonly fail when new. If there is one thing that is certain, a hard drive has moving parts and will fail, you just never know when.
I know what you mean. Isnt it SO discouraging how very unreliable technology can be? It is to me.

S2_Mac

The difference is in the bus that carries the data. Your external drive p'bly uses USB2, which is going to be slower than the PATA (or SATA) bus inside the computer. But for simple playback it doesn't really matter -- either internal or external will be plenty fast.

Delayed write can be set in a drive's Properties box. (Delayed write is mainly intended for laptops, to reduce battery drain.) Turn it off and all your apps will be much happier.

I know what you mean. Isnt it SO discouraging how very unreliable technology can be? It is to me.

Not to me...since I've never encountered anything that lasts forever/works without failure. I recall the days when 60MB drives cost $600 and fail points included the platter and head-stepper motors and head gap shocks. It kinda blows my mind that current drives are so data-dense, portable, and reliable -- 1000 times the capacity, 1/10 the cost, at least twice the lifespan. Have your organic memory specs increased like that during your life? <g>

eqblues

Blue since the 70's
I think Ill probably do the internal for playback and external for backup/storage. But only because I would rather not have to remember to power up the external every time I run iTunes at the beggining of each day, and then also remember to power it down after Im done listening for the night.