Playing iPod in Car

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

kylo4

Say you don't want to spend $99 on something that plays your iPod through the FM radio. If the vehicle I use only has the cigarette lighter spot/ac adapter, is there anything I can buy that will allow me to play the iPod in the vehicle? It's a 2006 Hyundai with a CD system. A 12 volt, 120 w Power Outlet is what it has. The thing doesn't have an auxiliary input. I have the cables that hook it up to my stereo but I don't see any cable input in the vehicle. To spend that much just to play it with static interference is too steep, but is that the only way?

Last edited:

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
If you don't have an aux input for the stereo, you're gonna have to pony up some money one way or another. Either an FM transmitter or a new head unit (stereo) with an aux input. Or, you can just hum ;)

kornchild2002

Did you purchase the Hyundai iPod installation kit? Most dealerships charge about $25 for it but will require a little more if you want them to install it. As previously stated, there is absolutely no way that you can play your iPod through your car's stereo system without plugging something into it (other than powering your iPod). You need an auxiliary connection, the official Hyundai installation kit, or an FM transmitter (a decent one goes for about $40, not $99).

I agree with you about the crappy quality of FM transmitters. You could even run down to Best Buy and purchase one of their iPod installation kits and have them install it. I have a 2009 Honda Civic with an auxiliary port. The audio quality was great except that the bass was too extreme when using the auxiliary connection. Honda wanted to charge me $150 for their "official" iPod connection kit and an additional $50 to install it. I went to Best Buy and saw that they had a bunch of different iPod kits for the factory stereos of many different car makes and models (the Honda one worked with pretty much all Honda cars, the Hyundai one worked with almost all Hyundai cars, etc.). The kit itself was $35 and Best Buy charged me $10 to install it. I spent almost $50 by the time taxes were included. Not only that but the sound quality was drastically increased as it was no longer filled with bass (it was similar to playing an mp3 file off of a data CD using the deck).

Either way, you are going to have to spend money on something whether it be a new CD deck, an "official" iPod installation kit, an off-brand iPod installation kit (they are just as good and do the exact same thing, the Honda one looked just like they off-brand kit), or an FM transmitter.