Pictures/details on 2001 Mustang w/ Mach 460 install

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

SWEET GT

I finally got the integration done.

I used a PAC Aux-Box with a FRD-20 cable. This allowed me to have RCA inputs on the Mach 460. It sounds very good.

Unfortunately, I lost half of the pics that detailed how it hooked up into the rear of the head unit, and part of the RCA cable run.

The Aux-Box plugs into the 20 Pin open connector on the back of the Head unit. This tricks the unit into thinking there is an additional external cd changer.

So to access the RCA inputs (the ipod) you just hit the CD button twice and "DJ 1 Track 1" appears on the display.

I ran the cables up through the center console between the seats, and the iPod sits inside the center console.

http://photos.sweetgt.com/Mustang/I...stall/index.htm

I think it looks very good and clean.

DJ MaC

Hey dude that is sweet, I have an '01 Mustang as well...do you have like a write up or would you be able to make one maybe as to how exactly you installed it? Also how hard was it to install and what exactly was involved in doing so? Thanks for any help!

jjsanders281

I have an 03 Mustang Id be intrested as well. Where did you buy your conversion kit? Thanks

Dynamite

[]D--[]--[]V[]--[]D
I too have a 2001 Mustang. More details and the website for the parts used would be great!

mynameis

Website
www.drivesfast.com
I have an 01, I have just a mount installed and I use an iTrip, a hardware solution would be badass but I didn't think there was a way with Mach 460

If you want to see pictures of my incar mount they can be found at
http://www.drivesfast.com/ipodmount/

edit: those ipod holders in the pictures are for sale, I now have an ipod mini.

Last edited:

mannix

Looks really nice. The information on the Mach 460 rear hookup would be nice but there???s enough information to work with along the photos already there.

mynameis

Website
www.drivesfast.com
I saw about to order an AUX-BOX with the adapter like he said, but I was looking around for maybe an alternative or a better price when I found this page:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/logjam/piefrdnaux.html

It is an Aux convertor for an 2001-2004 mustang but on the page it says:

NOTE: NOT compatible with, nor are there any converters available for, any Ford-made vehicles equipped with the 6-Disc in-dash headunit and/or factory navigation system.

All the Mach 460 Systems are 6 disc changers, I think, unless you get the Mp3 player options but I have never actually seen anyone with that option.

mannix

SWEET GT said:
I finally got the integration done.

I used a PAC Aux-Box with a FRD-20 cable. This allowed me to have RCA inputs on the Mach 460. It sounds very good.

Unfortunately, I lost half of the pics that detailed how it hooked up into the rear of the head unit, and part of the RCA cable run.

The Aux-Box plugs into the 20 Pin open connector on the back of the Head unit. This tricks the unit into thinking there is an additional external cd changer.

So to access the RCA inputs (the ipod) you just hit the CD button twice and "DJ 1 Track 1" appears on the display.

I ran the cables up through the center console between the seats, and the iPod sits inside the center console.

http://photos.sweetgt.com/Mustang/I...stall/index.htm

I think it looks very good and clean.

Would this work on a 1998 Mustang with the Mach 460?

mynameis

Website
www.drivesfast.com
Re: Re: Pictures/details on 2001 Mustang w/ Mach 460 install

mannix said:
Would this work on a 1998 Mustang with the Mach 460?
I have yet to see any auxiliary input converters for mustangs that say they work with any year before 2001. If I had an 00 or early, I would replace the head unit, I never found the stock ones to be all that great, I only like my 01 because it has in dash 6 disc. Also with the older mustangs they have the tape player so you can just get one of those adapters, not a slick but works better than an FM modulator.

Last edited:

mannix

Re: Re: Re: Pictures/details on 2001 Mustang w/ Mach 460 install

mynameis said:
I have yet to see any auxiliary input converters for mustangs that say they work with any year before 2001. If I had an 00 or early, I would replace the head unit, I never found the stock ones to be all that great, I only like my 01 because it has in dash 6 disc. Also with the older mustangs they have the tape player so you can just get one of those adapters, not a slick but works better than an FM modulator.
The ???98 Mach 460 is comprised of 2 head units, an AM/FM Cassette radio unit on the upper center portion of the center dash area and the CD player is same size as the AM/FM unit but it is mounted separately and lower. As such there must be a wiring harness between the two but I haven???t been able to find any pictures on the web so far of the back of either unit that would provide the necessary details. OTOH I could just do it the old fashioned way and physically eyeball both units. For now I???m using the Belkin TuneCast and Belkin Auto kit for iPod, which doesn???t sound all that bad actually, and when I???m done I can pack everything away really quickly and take the iPod along with me without leaving any telltale signs such as custom mounting brackets, cabling, etc. that a knowledgeable person with bad intentions might take advantage of.

mannix

After a little bit more online research it seems that my particular Mach 460 consisting of 2 units wired together with proprietary cabling and installing an FM modulator is just about impossible. One person is actually going to swap out the 2 units and buy a new radio with AUX in on the front panel. Granted that works but seems to be a pricey solution.

For now the TuneCast seems good enough but I might just get an iTrip and see if it does any better/worse from Circuit City so that if it???s really no good I can return it withOUT a 15% restocking fee or the usual hassles from the likes of such as BB and CU.

Last edited:

mynameis

Website
www.drivesfast.com
When I had my 00 Mustang with the Dual Head units thing, I just replaced them with one nice head unit, I don't know how the wiring went because I paid someone to install it. I bet you could find a decent head unit to go in there that come with an Aux input for a decent price, probably not much more than the $70 Auxiliary input converter I am looking at for my car.

mannix

A replacement head unit with Aux input ability would be a nice solution. I think for now I???m going to keep the Cobra stock as much as possible and leave the original Mach 460 as-is. The iTrip sound really good in the meantime. Now I have to return the TuneCast to C___USA (15% restocking fee) and its cigarette power adapter to CC with no restocking fee.

caedmon

I'd also be very interested in hearing more details about the mustang install. I have a 2003 ford ranger with the same head unit and so far every installation store I've contacted has said they can't connect my iPod directly to my HU using any other method than a wired FM Modulator.