phoneless iPhone vs iPod Touch.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

countach747

Let's consider the iPod touch vs the iPhone without an AT&T plan:

iPhone pros:
* iPod loses the camera.
* iPod loses a bunch of useful applications like google maps and email.
* iPod loses earphones with remote control bud.
* iPod loses side mounted volume control.
* iPod can't be hacked to be used on another cell phone carrier or to replace current phone.
* iPod lacks external speaker.
* iPod lacks bluetooth.

iPod pros:
* $100 cheaper for the same storage
* For now, available in larger capacity.
* Slightly smaller.

Overall, it seems to me the iPhone is a better iPod than the iPod even with no actual phone service. When a 16GB version comes out, probably in the not too distant future, it will be even more so.

Last edited:

sircheesecake

Get me an iphone that uses EVDO and ill will say the iphone is better. EDGE is a joke as far as speed is concerned. For now us Verizon customers can stick to our smartphones and laugh at people on EDGE struggling to download anything.

Mr. E.

Barca Lounger
macafied said:
It's simple really. Either you need a phone or you don't.
I don't think it's quite that simple. I don't need a phone as I already have one, but if I had my druthers, I'd get an iPhone and use it with my existing service. If it weren't for the warranty and replacement issues, I'd be tempted to get an iPhone and just not use the phone feature because even without that it's still more feature-rich than the iTouch.

The pros and cons are also being debated in this thread. Some folks are pretty cavalier about hacking their iPhone, but I remain cautious (plus I'm hoping for more features in the next iPhone). But needing a phone isn't the whole issue because while I have a phone, and even have AT&T service, what I don't need is a two year committment to add an extra $25/month to my bill for the four hours a day that I might be out of a WiFi hotspot. For me an iPhone without the data plan is a clear winner, but there's no such option without a hack, so it becomes a little less clear.

macafied

Im pretty sure some if not all of those apps will be brought to the iPod Touch. Do you really need another crappy camera? Do you need bluetooth without the phone?

I do agree though, if ATT had a plan without data it would be ideal for me as well.

Mr. E.

Barca Lounger
The iPhone's camera may not be top of the line, but it's much better than what's currently on my phone, so I would like a camera even if it also meant still having to carry around my old phone. And bluetooth without stereo is not terribly useful, I'll agree, especially on a device that is primarily a media player, but stereo bluetooth would be nice, and, given that there's already 3rd party aps that do this for other iPods, it seems like there'd be some interest in that feature as well. But then it's probably safe to assume that these 3rd party aps will be retooled for the iTouch, if they don't already work with it.

But yes, the data plan is the (somewhat) hidden cost of the iPhone. It's an extra $600 for a feature that, while nice, is not $600 nice, at least not to me.

fishcube

I like the iphone due to to the speaker. I can't believe they left this out on the Touch. If I chose the iphone, I won't ever use the phone feature (unless USCellular is able to use it at some point).

What's the weight difference between the two?

I do like the size, shape of the Touch better. Anyone know if any accessories are coming out with it on release or shortly after?

SK

Last edited:

Matt174e

countach747 said:
iPhone pros:
* The camera.
* A bunch of useful applications like google maps and email.
* Earphones with remote control bud.
* Side mounted volume control.
* Can be hacked to be used on another cell phone carrier or to replace current phone.
* External speaker.
* Bluetooth.

iPod pros:
* $100 cheaper for the same storage
* For now, available in larger capacity.
* Slightly smaller.
Fixed :D