Pete Doherty And Carl Barat...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Emultion_Rawks

Resident iLounge Rebel
Website
www.thedigitaloasis.net
I have been having a discussion with a few people, (Including kris from iLounge!), about Pete Doherty, Carl Barat, The Libertines, Dirty Pretty Things and Babyshambles. Are Dirty Pretty Things and Babyshambles 'Over-Hyped' and average? Could they be living off The Libertines success? Are Babyshambles better than Dirty Pretty Things, or vice versa?

I have no doubt in my mind that both Bands are not 'Over-Hyped' or average, nor do I think that they live off The Libertines success. Perhaps when both Bands, (Babyshambles and Dirty Pretty Things), started off, they had an advantage because of them being in a well-known Band before, but that would be the extent of it.

However, I do think that Babyshambles overall are better than Dirty Pretty Things. Dirty Pretty Things are good, but there is something missing, and I think that's Pete Doherty. However, having said that, Babyshambles don't match up to The Libertines either. In the end, they are best when they are together, and maybe someday they will realise that again...

So what are all your views on the subject, if you have any?

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
Like I told you, I think Doherty is overrated. He has the odd brilliant song but for me, Barat is a much more consistent talent.

iMacc

'' Mr 10 Posts A Day ''
Website
www.last.fm
Doherty is only even famous because he's a 'smackhead'. Ok, so he can write the odd amazing song (Time For Heroes), and some very good ones too (What Katie Did), but he is in a different league compared to Barat.

Barat was the driving force in The Libertines, the essence, the soul. Doherty was a member of the band, who couldn't be trusted and was ultimately the downfall of the group. Now let's be clear, i like Babyshambles and i enjoyed their somewhat 'patchy' debut, but after hearing 'Waterloo To Anywhere' it is clear which Libertine has the major talent.

So, ER for now i would have to say that Babyshambles are over-rated and that Doherty is living off the cult success of The Libertines, until he goes clean and proves otherwise.

Dirty Pretty Things are not over-rated however imo and after seeing them live a couple of times now, i know they are a great band.

I guess what i'm trying to say ER, is that Pete needs Carl, but not vice-versa......

Emultion_Rawks

Resident iLounge Rebel
Website
www.thedigitaloasis.net
iMacc, you make some interesting points, but overall I wouldn't agree with you.

Pete Doherty perhaps may have used his fame with The Libertines at the start to promote Babyshambles, but he isn't and hasn't used it for a while. Babyshambles are doing great, have some excellent Songs, (As do Dirty Pretty Things, for that matter...), and I can see them going further, at least if things continue going the way they are now!

iMacc said:
Barat was the driving force in The Libertines, the essence, the soul. Doherty was a member of the band, who couldn't be trusted and was ultimately the downfall of the group.
I wouldn't say that at all, actually. I've just finished reading the Book about The Libertines, 'Bound Together', and if anything, it was Pete wanting to do the Gigs, it was Pete wanting to write more Songs, it was Pete driving the Band. Obviously, Carl was also the other 'Key Figure' of The Libertines, as were John and Gary, and Carl would sometimes have to keep things under control, keep things sensible. But Pete was probably the driving force for the Band.

By the way, if you haven't read 'Bound Together', I reccomend it! It's a great read! :)

neb

Babyshambles have made a better record than Dirty Pretty Things. I think the great thing about The Libertines was that they were both instrumental in the band's progression. But shouldn't Gary and John deserve a special mention for the unenviable task of keeping it together? I think they deserve as much credit as Barat/Doherty.

Emultion_Rawks

Resident iLounge Rebel
Website
www.thedigitaloasis.net
I completely agree with you neb, John and Gary deserve just as much credit! I was just thinking here more in terms of Pete Doherty and Carl Barat... (I do know though that Gary is in Dirty Pretty Things, and I also know about Johns Band, Yeti!).