PC User has Found a Mac! What To Do?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

davebach172

Hi!

I was having my PC rebuilt and having nothing to do, took a wander into a store room where I found a mac of some sort - its kinda green, with transparent handles on all four corners, a big apple logo on each side, and stands like a desktop tower pc machine - looking on the back it says G4. I plugged it in and mac OS 9 loaded up.

Having never really used a mac before, I have no idea what this machine is capable of - so I was hoping someone here could tell me how easy it would be to hook my gen3 pod to it? - Does OS9 support it - or does it need X, or whatever the new OS version is? - I'm currently (well, waiting to get it back!) using a PC, and would love to be able to use ALL the features of the pod (ratings, playcounts, aac (maybe this is OSX though?) and ESPECIALLY iTunes!!! ).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

eustacescrubb

Website
www.johnpauldavis.org
To use an iPod running to the 2.0 firmware, you'll need to install OS 10.2 on the computer, and install iTunes 4. OS X may already be on on the computer; the way to tell if it is is to go to the Apple in the upper left hand corner, click on it, select "Control Panels" from the dropdown menu that apears, then select "Startup Disk" from the contextual menu that appears. If OS X is installed on the computer, Startup Disk will know - it'll show two possible startup disks, along with the version of each OS. If OSX is installed, you can select it in startup disk and restart and OSX will boot up.

davebach172

cool!

Will try that as soon as I can - have my PC back now and its hogging the monitor.

If I only have OS9, can I not use my iPod at all then? How do I go about getting OSX? - Is that the flashy one with the bar at the bottom that enlarges icons as you roll over them?

Thanks for the startup disk info too!

eustacescrubb

Website
www.johnpauldavis.org
You can use your iPod with OS 9.2 or greater and iTunes 2. But you will not have AAC support.

OS X is indeed the OS with the flashy icons - we call that application the "Dock". To get OS X, you'll either have to buy it, or get your IT department to install it. It needs to be 10.2 to make it worth the effort though, so if your IT department doesn't have 10.2, I wouldn't bother.

davebach172

brilliant!

I'll fire it all up and give it a go! Our IT department kinda consists of one guy who looked at the mac with a "whats that??" expression on his face! Might have to get my hands dirty and find out why everyones raving about 10.2 myself!

Thanks for the help.

:)

eustacescrubb

Website
www.johnpauldavis.org
This is just a thought: at some point here soon, Apple is supposed to be debuting 10.3; you may want to hold off on buying OSX until 10.3 is released, so you can save yourself some money.

davebach172

not a bad idea! This pod is costing me an arm and a leg (and a car! - sold it to fund this unhealthy obsession! (well, I hadn't even started it for a year))

Anyway, rambling aside, in the PC world, new OS's tend to require a whole new PC - like Windows 98 to XP required dumping one perfectly good PC to get another. Are mac OS's like that - or will this G4 thingy do ok?

Sorry to have to ask, but how do I work out the spec of it? - like I say, its got G4 written on the back of its (rather funky) case, but no other infomation?

jmk

Go to Apple System Profiler - available under the Apple Menu. It will give you tons of info re the system, processor, drives, etc. A G4 can certainly run OSX, but the slowest ones (400-500 Mhz) will struggle with some operations. It's not hard to adjust the OS to reduce the OS load - you can tweak it by turning off some of the high impact effects.

mongoos150

Being a new 'switcher' (didn't really switch, just added a new 17" iMac) and having OS 10.2.3, when the new OS comes out (Panther) will it be a free upgrade to 10.2 users or will we have to pay? If so, how much?

jmk

Panter (10.3) Will Cost

Apple releases minor cycle upgrades for free and then charges for major releases. Thus, they've gone from 10.2, which they charged for, up through 10.2.6 and now they'll charge for 10.3. The major releases generally see large change. If you buy 10.2 close to the upgrade, you'll generally get the new one for a nominal fee - but then you'll likely also have to download the 10.2.6 combo updater. If it's not a big deal, then just wait and get 10.3. Or you can possibly find 10.2 for cheap and just ride with that for a while. It's a good OS. I would expect 10.3 to be quicker in feel, so that may matter to you.

BTW, if you don't use Mail, you generally won't notice much lag using 10.2. Mail, which is an excellent program, has some interface speed issues, mostly when it's downloading mail and you want to interact with it. I hope that improves.