PC iTunes worries

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

homicat

meow
Hi y'all.
I'm a PC user with an iPod and i'm anticipating the release of iTunes for windows but i have one worry:
Will iTunes be for Windows 98 and up or Windows 2000 and up?

I havn't heard any information the requirements for PC iTunes, and, being a Windows 98 user, i really hope its for 98 and up.

Has anyone heard any information about this??

ashawley

Website
www.
No one's heard anything, but I'd be surprised if it supported 98. 2000 is will most likely, but 98 is just so old.

Adam

kyussmondo

Well the iPOD was designed not to work with 98, although people have found ways round it. So I doubt they will make iTUNES compatible with 98. Although somebody may find a way for it to work with 98.

kyussmondo

Yeah, XP isn't that expensive. And it is reliable if you make sure you update all your drivers. I upgraded from ME to XP and first of all it kept crashing and wouldn't boot etc. Then next time I reformated I made sure the drivers were all up-to-date and I haven't really had many problems since, accept adware (which isn't XPs fault).

SpideyPod

Long Time Podder
Website
stationa.net
Asking XP to upgrade cleanly from ME is asking too much. I am sure some may say all Windows products are garbage but MS hit an all new low when they released ME.

Charging for the mess that was ME was worthy of a class action suit.

For anyone thinking of moving off any older MS OS to a XP or 2000, if you can and are comfortable doing it, do yourself a favor and do a clean install. Upgrading can be more trouble that its worth. I worked in IT for almost 5 years and with computers in general for many years before that and I have yet to ever "upgrade".

Backup - Format - Install. Save yourself the hassle.

If you are on any MS OS other than 2000 or XP its time to move on.

bighairy

All round good egg
I've got a three year old 700Mhz machine running XP quite nicely: I bought a huge new hard drive, left Win98 alone and just followed the instructions to instal XP on the new HD. Worked like a charm and I can dual boot into 98 if I want to. Lets you set things up on the new partition slowly and carefully.

graeme

kyussmondo

SpideyPod said:
Asking XP to upgrade cleanly from ME is asking too much. I am sure some may say all Windows products are garbage but MS hit an all new low when they released ME.

Charging for the mess that was ME was worthy of a class action suit.

For anyone thinking of moving off any older MS OS to a XP or 2000, if you can and are comfortable doing it, do yourself a favor and do a clean install. Upgrading can be more trouble that its worth. I worked in IT for almost 5 years and with computers in general for many years before that and I have yet to ever "upgrade".

Backup - Format - Install. Save yourself the hassle.

If you are on any MS OS other than 2000 or XP its time to move on.
ME was bad, very bad. Thats the main reasons I upgraded. But I haven't done a clean install but it works well now. Like I said once all the drivers are up-to-date XP is very reliable.

IlIlIlIlIl

ME was kinda like a crapware that MS threw out between 98 and XP just to get more money. XP on the other hand is one of the better OS's MS has put out. It's extremely stable (no more blue screens unless you install some incompatible drivers) and pretty much universal support for current generation of software and hardware. You need a pretty decent computer to run it well but it's all worth it

kyussmondo

The computer I got a home had ME on it. So I didn't have much choice. A person I know downgraded to ME from XP?!?! Fine if they don't like XP, but I would downgrade to 98SE or 2000, not ME!